Thread: A positive Cumberland Acoustic bridge story

Default A positive Cumberland Acoustic bridge story

I got a new small-shop mandolin last fall and it had a nice rich bass but just didn't cut it in treble volume or tone. There were some build issues, so I tried a new nut and a fret job. Playability improved, but the volume and treble tone just were not good enough for me to even want to play the mandolin. I still played it quite a bit hoping it would "break in" or something, but I didn't enjoy it! Two weeks ago, as a last-ditch effort, I tried a Cumberland Acoustic bridge.

I was shocked by the difference! The problems with the tone of the E and A strings were gone and volume seemed to be better. I can't keep my hands off this mandolin now. I'm anxious to try it at a jam this weekend to see if it can hang (hopefully the jam won't be cancelled).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: A positive Cumberland Acoustic bridge story

Good to know. Everyone recommends them, so I bought one recently. It's at the shop getting installed now.

If the jam is cancelled, you have an excuse for some quality-time woodshedding. Live it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Good to know. Everyone recommends them, so I bought one recently. It's at the shop getting installed now.

If the jam is cancelled, you have an excuse for some quality-time woodshedding. Live it up!
    Let us know the results when you get your mando back!

(I actually am happy whenever the jam is cancelled because I DO get more done musically when I'm playing by myself, lol. It is good to get to a jam and to be around other musicians, but my musical development is lower when I'm with guys who are chatting and playing through mostly familiar songs. I'm still in search of that elusive musical partner or two who are as intense as I am!)
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I have yet to hear a Cumberland Acoustics story that is not positive.

I'm still in search of that elusive musical partner or two who are as intense as I am!
    The best thing for me has been when I quit looking for a partner who was that intense and found some who are fun.

5. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    The best thing for me has been when I quit looking for a partner who was that intense and found some who are fun.
    I’ve found some guys who are fun but they don’t have much interest in practicing on their own or refining anything.
    Last edited by Doug Brock; Mar-16-2020 at 11:40pm.
    Doug Brock

I too have had a very good experience with these Bridges.
    I bought a used PANGO mandolin, sight unseen, from eBay for a price I couldn’t refuse. The mandolin was solidly built, all solid hand carved woods, but no real figure to speak of. It also had a bridge that was not seated to the top very well, and the truss rod needed a serious adjustment. It already had a solid brass tailpiece.
    It sounded OK, but it also was lacking something.
    I took it to a local luthier, Tyler White, and he mentioned that it would benefit from this upgrade/replacement; a full contact CA Bridge.
    When I went to pick it up I was quite taken by the sound it now produced. Tyler felt the same. I made the comment that it was a “pretty good mandolin for what it was”. His comment was, “No, this is a really good mandolin.”
    Greatly thankful for his suggestion, and his skill.
    And very importantly also, the Cumberland Acoustic Bridge that helped greatly to bring more life to this mandolin.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

8. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Had a similar experience with a red wood topped mandola with a top that crashed and then was replaced by the builder with a spruce top. It had been prior to getting a new top the best sounding mandola I had ever played. With the new top I found it to be very disappointing.
    Then a new nut and a Cumberland Acoustic Bridge. While it is still not the best sounding mandola as previously, it is quite good and better than most.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    Let us know the results when you get your mando back!

(I actually am happy whenever the jam is cancelled because I DO get more done musically when I'm playing by myself, lol. It is good to get to a jam and to be around other musicians, but my musical development is lower when I'm with guys who are chatting and playing through mostly familiar songs. I'm still in search of that elusive musical partner or two who are as intense as I am!)
    You and I are in the same boat. I was in a rock band with the same guys for 25 years. We worked on material for the whole rehearsal. Stopped to work out rough spots, get the vocal harmonies perfect, and play more challenging pieces from Steely Dan to Pat Metheny. Had a very strong control freak lead guitarist, a solid drummer and a very good lead vocalist. We constantly would strive to get better on our own and as a group. Eventually guys retired and moved away, so I threw myself into a solo guitar songwriter endeavor, and I co host an open mic of really high quality overall. The few bluegrass jams I've attended have been very disappointing in the level of musicianship and the song selection which has probably been the same for the last ten years and will remain the same. But know what? Folks were having a good time and more power to them.

I really need to find people just like me, who can play credibly if not professionally, and can sing harmony, and want to work on both original and quirky covers, and play some mandolin, some guitar, some bass, and some dobro, with a degree of commitment and a lack of desire to play for drunk people very often. I am disappointed in my peer's (old) lack of growth. Content to play the songs they learned thirty years ago over and over, with no real desire to collaborate. While I can support others is various ways, I've not found anyone who can support me the same way. Hoping that doesn't come off as egotistical. I know my considerable limitations.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I was not aware of any bad Cumberland bridge stories. Mine did wonders to a loar 600.
    Its not a backwards guitar.