Thread: Third time, yet beginner, mandolin buyer looking for advice

Default Third time, yet beginner, mandolin buyer looking for advice

Third times a charm as they say.

I made this username 12 years ago and purchased a very nice Big Muddy M4 mandolin from the classifieds. Before this I was primarily an acoustic guitar player, but had played some nice mandolins which inspired me to get one.

I didn't totally connect with the tone of the M4, as I was more into bluegrass music at the time, so I didn't find myself playing it and moved it on. It likely would have gotten wrecked due to my nomadic lifestyle for those next years, which did a number on a couple of acoustic guitars. What a beautiful instrument though with amazing bookmatched back.

Since then, I've advanced with guitar, picked up clawhammer banjo, ukulele, bass, piano, drums, lapsteel...tambourine, computer. At one point I had a well broken in/broken Kentucky KM100S (flatiron) which played poorly and mostly stayed in the case. I ended up selling that along with my deering goodtime, telling myself I would replace them both with better instruments. Well, it's been 10 years...

I'm trying to stay in the $500-$600 range, but willing to sell one of my electric guitars to move up to the $1000-$1200 zone if I can get something that is a lifetime instrument. I'm still interested in bluegrass, but more newgrass, folk, jamgrass, dawg, and django jazz than trad. I could see myself getting into sessions eventually (wish I still had that M4 ).
    Last edited by mr. pocket; Apr-19-2022 at 12:29pm.

Default Re: Third time, yet beginner, mandolin buyer looking for advice

This might be the ticket.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186384#186384

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: