Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first mandolin!

Default Re: Just bought my first mandolin!

Hi! So much wonderful information, glad I came here!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    That is the bag your new mandolin case will be wrapped in.
    Spooky! Is this a new thing, wrapping your mandolin in a hardshell case and a black body bag?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That's how they're shipped, bagged then boxed.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Hmmmm, they should include a photo of the packing material too!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Go with the Ratliff. The strap button is just that, and doesn’t signify any structural issues. My Silverangel Econo had a speed neck, and I really liked it. Most violin necks are finished similarly, just FYI. If you decide you don’t like the strap button, they’re easy to remove.

Nothing against Loar, Eastman, Kentucky, and J Bovier; I’ve owned an early 2000s Kentucky 675-S and a more recent Eastman 315. The Eastman in particular was a very good mandolin with excellent workmanship. But, the Silverangel had much more depth/complexity of tone and held tone better up the neck; a true upgrade in tone and playability. It staved off MAS for about 9 years for me, and it more than held its own alongside mandolins priced into the 3000-4000 range. I haven’t played the particular Ratliff you’re looking at, but Audey’s mandolins have that kind of rep as well...

Of course, if you just don’t want to spend that much (been there, and times are uncertain presently), Kentucky 150 and Eastman 305 are excellent values you won’t quickly outgrow...
    Chuck

Pull the trigger, the suspense is killin' me!

Seriously though, that Ratliff is the mandolin you upgrade to after owning an imported scrolly mandolin. Some of them are pretty good, but there is almost always a noticeable difference in tone with something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Pull the trigger, the suspense is killin' me!

Seriously though, that Ratliff is the mandolin you upgrade to after owning an imported scrolly mandolin. Some of them are pretty good, but there is almost always a noticeable difference in tone with something like this.
    Haha ,I am so close..................

Belle Starr: I have been playing mandolin for over 40 years. In the 1980s I was looking for a custom mandolin and there were much fewer people building mandolins. Audey Ratliff was one of the makers who was making mandolins back then. I would venture to say that he knows what he is doing after all these years. I don't know if that helps you to decide or not but it is a fact. Ah, I just checked his website and the home page says he is celebrating his 38th year of building mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

drum roll please...............................just bought my 2nd mandolin.................................Ratliff

11. The following members say thank you to Belle Starr for this post:

I am sure you will not be disappointed. Congratulations!

#1118 and #1056 will wait to hear some new music
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Starr View Post
    drum roll please...............................just bought my 2nd mandolin.................................Ratliff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13824A3D-87EF-4CA4-ABA1-578D2D04E1D4.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	184516
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Way to go, that was a good buy, good decision. I am sure you will be pleased. Plus it's not tempting the rest of us any more.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Smart choice. Play it in good health. You do understand you owe us a complete report when it's arrived, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Starr View Post
    I think that many of us have enjoyed going shopping with you, while we're in isolation. Enjoy your mandolin.
    Good people here.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

You all have been such wonderful help to me, thank you! Glad to help out by buying so you all don't have to think maybe you need one more mandolin (pops1), or wanting to reach through the screen and shake me! I will give you update when it comes. Also, Charlie threw in the s&h, I am a lucky gal!!

Outstanding! Enjoy and play in good health. You really got a great buy on the Ratliff.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Whoo Hoo! I have been following this thread with some anticipation. Well done Belle.

I have never played a Ratliff, but am so looking forward to your impressions.
    Congrats on your first small shop build!! I am confident that it will work out well for you.

If you can afford it, make sure to take a few lessons so you can get pick-grip, and left hand technique basics under your belt. It is always better to get some good instruction from a trained hand to start with, than to have to later change because you find out something would be easier if it was done otherwise.

I attended a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN some years ago that was taught by Mike Compton. I also took a couple lessons from Jim Richter. I found both instructors taught me techniques that I value very highly to this day.
    FWIW (NFI) Jim Richter is holding a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN this year also. This year he is having Don Julin as the prime teacher. I have heard VERY good things about his teaching style.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    I have never played a Ratliff, but am so looking forward to your impressions.
    Congrats on your first small shop build!! I am confident that it will work out well for you.

If you can afford it, make sure to take a few lessons so you can get pick-grip, and left hand technique basics under your belt. It is always better to get some good instruction from a trained hand to start with, than to have to later change because you find out something would be easier if it was done otherwise.

I attended a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN some years ago that was taught by Mike Compton. I also took a couple lessons from Jim Richter. I found both instructors taught me techniques that I value very highly to this day.
    FWIW (NFI) Jim Richter is holding a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN this year also. This year he is having Don Julin as the prime teacher. I have heard VERY good things about his teaching style.
    Hi, I will let you all know about my Ratliff! Now I need to name her :0) Also, since I can't take in person lessons during this craziness, any online youtube teacher suggestions?

There are several threads about free youtube lessons, some are totally free, some teachers appreciate donations. If you want something more structured (but also a bit more expensive, I amusing Artistworks (NFI) and am pretty happy with Mike Marshall's bluegrass class, am getting ready to switch to Caterina Lichtenberg's classical lessons (as it is more in line with my interests.)

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

What a great choice

Looking forward to following your mandolin journey! Please keep us posted
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Great choice, Belle. You are getting a quality instrument that will take you far (and a great deal, to boot). As you can clearly see, we all enjoy spending other people's money....

For online lessons, you should start with mandolessons.com. It's a free service (with voluntary contributions and Patreon subscriptions available), and tons of great content for beginners. I believe Baron does online lessons, as well, and he's a contributor here. It's how I started, and many others on the Cafe. I've also taken a couple workshops from Don Julin, and he's great, too. He's the author of the Mandolin For Dummies books, and does online lessons as well.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

26. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

I’m so glad it didn’t get away. I was fraught with anxiety. Mandolessions.com has beginner material, and Peghead Nation has more defined courses. You have something that can last a while.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Clappy, clappy, clappy!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I’m so glad it didn’t get away. I was fraught with anxiety. Mandolessions.com has beginner material, and Peghead Nation has more defined courses. You have something that can last a while.
    hahaha! glad I helped relieve your anxiety! Would not want that for you at this time of "crazy"