Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Just bought my first mandolin!

Default Re: Just bought my first mandolin!

Have played a couple of Ratliffs for a few minutes. Both were really good instruments. Assuming that it’s properly set up, you’re beginning your mandolin journey with a quality instrument.

I've had two vicarious buying experiences this week, your Country Boy odyssey, and a long PM back and forth with Doug. Two good outcomes. Doug overcame a scroll desire and chose quality, a difficult challenge. A Country Boy could be your one and only, or teach you exactly what you want in the future. Either way its a big step forward. I can't tell you how many stories I've been told of people going home to sleep on it only to find their dream gone next day.

I once played a wonderful old Martin guitar I could barely afford, but not the thousand dollar repair it needed. I decided to buy it if it were there 24 hours later, hoping it wouldn't. It was bought and hour after I left the store thank goodness, so it goes both ways.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I've had two vicarious buying experiences this week, your Country Boy odyssey, and a long PM back and forth with Doug. Two good outcomes. Doug overcame a scroll desire and chose quality, a difficult challenge. A Country Boy could be your one and only, or teach you exactly what you want in the future. Either way its a big step forward. I can't tell you how many stories I've been told of people going home to sleep on it only to find their dream gone next day.

I once played a wonderful old Martin guitar I could barely afford, but not the thousand dollar repair it needed. I decided to buy it if it were there 24 hours later, hoping it wouldn't. It was bought and hour after I left the store thank goodness, so it goes both ways.

Hey all, I see another Ratliff in classifieds!

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Starr View Post
    Hey all, I see another Ratliff in classifieds!
    Actually there are two others:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Belle, did you get the mandolin yet?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Belle, did you get the mandolin yet?
    Should be arriving today, patiently waiting!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belle Starr For This Useful Post:

I guess it arrived and she is busy playing it non-stop.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I guess it arrived and she is busy playing it non-stop.

Okay Mando Peeps, yes it arrived awhile ago, and I have been playing! Oh, what can I say, sounds beautiful, like when I was in the store and played that pricey one verses the $650 mandolin. Also very nice looking, case, strap, picks, and man my fingers are sore! Thank you all so much!!!!

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Belle Starr For This Useful Post:

I am late to the party, Belle, but congratulations on your new mandolin! I am a newbie anyway, so would not have been able to offer much help in picking a good one. I have an Eastman MD505 that I bought a couple years ago.

Congrats on the great purchase!!
    We look forward to more feedback.
    Enjoy the wonderful journey!!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Starr View Post
    Okay Mando Peeps, yes it arrived awhile ago, and I have been playing! Oh, what can I say, sounds beautiful, like when I was in the store and played that pricey one verses the $650 mandolin. Also very nice looking, case, strap, picks, and man my fingers are sore! Thank you all so much!!!!
    Glad you like it. I knew you would
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Ratliff CountryBoy A
    00-21 (voiced by Eldon Stutzman)

Sore fingers means a smiling face. Enjoy!!!
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Congrats!

Perfectly titled thread " . . . my first mandolin". Cause it won't be your last, ask anyone here! Enjoy all this wonderful instrument has to offer.

It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal

The double post above happens once in a while. What causes this?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Its already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said Id try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. Shed heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal.

- - - Updated - - -

Its already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said Id try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. Shed heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal

you rock!

It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal

Are you typing this in the mirror?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: