Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first mandolin!

Default Re: Just bought my first mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Welcome to the Cafe and enjoy your fun new mandolin. If possible, have a shop set it up. Adjusting the string height will make those high tension double courses a lot more fun. I'll say as a barely novice player myself, that as you start learning, pretty much any mandolin that has a good comfortable set up is great to learn on. If the looks of this one inspires you to play more, that's great. Have a ton of fun.At the very least, you bought one of the prettiest first mandolins folks have bought!

Jamie

Edit to add: One thing to do even if you don't get it set up, is change out the strings to something nicer like D'Addario EJ74s. That one likely came with not the best strings.

Ugh.. Missed that you are returning. I like the Eastman mandolins a lot. You can get a lot of mandolin for $700, especially if you look at A styles (sound the same as F styles with less cost) or even used. Our classifieds are very safe space to look and consider.
    thank you!!

If you could swing it this would be worth a look. Eastman and Kentucky mandolins have really improved over the years. It could serve you well for a long time. Mando Mutt is a site sponsor. A mandolin from most any sponsor should have at least a decent setup.
    http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...-md-515v-amber

I will say that I did want a scroll and had a few. I currently play an A style mandolin with f holes. It is an amazing mandolin, far above my ability. But I could never afford or justify the same mandolin if it was an F5. There is not any difference in sound between an F5 and an A from the same builder. There have been some great professional players that play A style mandolins. So you could possibly get a better mandolin with an A for the same or less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    If you could swing it this would be worth a look. Eastman and Kentucky mandolins have really improved over the years. It could serve you well for a long time. Mando Mutt is a site sponsor. A mandolin from most any sponsor should have at least a decent setup.
    http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...-md-515v-amber

I will say that I did want a scroll and had a few. I currently play an A style mandolin with f holes. It is an amazing mandolin, far above my ability. But I could never afford or justify the same mandolin if it was an F5. There is not any difference in sound between an F5 and an A from the same builder. There have been some great professional players that play A style mandolins. So you could possibly get a better mandolin with an A for the same or less money.
    Thank you for this information and link, I will check into this!

Hey All, A local dealer has an Eastman 805, 2006 model for $650, thoughts??? Yes, I know it's A style :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Starr View Post
    Hey All, A local dealer has an Eastman 805, 2006 model for $650, thoughts??? Yes, I know it's A style :0)
    That's a very good price for one of their top-end 800 series instruments. Play it and see if you like it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    That's a very good price for one of their top-end 800 series instruments. Play it and see if you like it.
    heading out soon to give it a try!

7. The following members say thank you to Belle Starr for this post:

Welcome to the Cafe, Belle, and enjoy playing mandolin. I do like the original though -- it seems like a flashback.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Welcome to the Cafe, Belle, and enjoy playing mandolin. I do like the original though -- it seems like a flashback.

What do you all think of the Loar LM520???

In this price range, I think Eastman and Kentucky are the way to go. If you have to have a scroll, an Eastman 315 would likely be your best bet. Others will have different opinions, but mine is the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    In this price range, I think Eastman and Kentucky are the way to go. If you have to have a scroll, an Eastman 315 would likely be your best bet. Others will have different opinions, but mine is the correct one.
    Haha! Okay, thank you!

Speaking from my own experience, with a 700 dollar budget, I would jump on the The Loar LM600 in the classifieds.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

14. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

+1 for the Eastman 315...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152330#152330

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

What do you all think of the Loar LM520???
    I had a Loar 520 for a while when I started out. I enjoyed it. Get it from a Cafe sponsor that does a set-up, and it will make a good starter instrument. Best f-style at that price point (500-600 new) that I have played. I do agree that you would do better to spend $700 on a used a-style.

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Speaking from my own experience, with a 700 dollar budget, I would jump on the The Loar LM600 in the classifieds.
    I will check it out! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Looking at this one too! Oh the choices!

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    I had a Loar 520 for a while when I started out. I enjoyed it. Get it from a Cafe sponsor that does a set-up, and it will make a good starter instrument. Best f-style at that price point (500-600 new) that I have played. I do agree that you would do better to spend $700 on a used a-style.
    So the ones sold here are "cafe sponsored"?

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    Reasons to choose A style??? Sell me!

One joke around here is that the scroll on a mandolin is called a "thousand dollar strap holder". Often one can get a better quality A style mandolin for the same amount of money as an F style. Especially used.

That said, in your price range, something like this would be worth a look...

https://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/...-x46387067.htm

NFI

Good hunting!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    One joke around here is that the scroll on a mandolin is called a "thousand dollar strap holder". Often one can get a better quality A style mandolin for the same amount of money as an F style. Especially used.

That said, in your price range, something like this would be worth a look...

https://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/...-x46387067.htm

NFI

Good hunting!
    Haha! But I like how it looks................... I will ck out your link!

Consider Eastman MD-315. I am so happy with mine. Check out BanjoBen Clark's Store. They will professionally set up, help you with necessary equipment and send right to your door. https://store.banjobenclark.com/
    Call and ask for Jake. Tell him Will Cooper (Lifetime Member) sent ya.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgri3 View Post
    Consider Eastman MD-315. I am so happy with mine. Check out BanjoBen Clark's Store. They will professionally set up, help you with necessary equipment and send right to your door. https://store.banjobenclark.com/
    Call and ask for Jake. Tell him Will Cooper (Lifetime Member) sent ya.
    Thank you, I will ck out their website!

So the ones sold here are "cafe sponsored"?
    The term Cafe Sponsor is used here for stores that contribute to keeping the Cafe running and it turn they are listed at the top of the forum pages and the classifieds. Click on the names or store logo to go to their web sites. Gryphon, Elderly Instruments, and The Mandolin Store are just three. They are known to include a setup with every instrument they sell, and all have very good reputations. Several manufacturers also participate. The sponsor prices are really quite good considering the value added service provided. You can buy with confidence from any of them.

Buying from one helps keep this site going.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

26. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Reasons to choose A style??? Sell me!
    Because you can get an independently built instrument by an established American luthier in the same price range as a factory built import F5:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152471#152471
    Last edited by pheffernan; Mar-22-2020 at 9:12am.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Because you can get an independently built instrument by an established American luthier in the same price range as a factory built import F5:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152471#152471
    I 100% agree with the above and I don't think you could find a better mandolin for the money. A US made mandolin from a small shop builder that has build many mandolins and doing it for a long time. Buy it, you will be glad you did.