Thread: Rag vs Morris vs ???

Default Rag vs Morris vs ???

Hey folks, there are (of course) quite a few threads out there on Morris mandolins and 1 or 2 on Rag Mandolins, but nothing I can find where there is a shoot out between 'em (and other comparable mandos).

For a domestic made, small builder F5 in the $1500 range, it seems these are the two that you would be looking at.

But for the heck of it, lets throw Ratliff's F5 country boy in the mix as well (I think Audey has a base of $1999 on those instruments), and Arnold Cross also has f style instruments hovering around the 2k mark.

Anyone played any combination of these mandolins and can give some valued feedback? I know, I know - you get more bang for your buck with an A style and you really need to play it to know it, but for curiosity sake, can anyone weigh in on comps here?

I am sure I am not the only one who might wonder about a shoot out between these makers.

Thanks all.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rag vs Morris vs ???

Jammed with a fellow playing a Rag at the Green Mountain Bluegrass and Roots Festival. I didn’t play it but I heard it and looked it over. Sounded good while finish was not where high end or even Eastman/Kentucky mandolins are. But if you are like me, fit and finish falls well below playability and tone on my radar.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Rag vs Morris vs ???

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Jammed with a fellow playing a Rag at the Green Mountain Bluegrass and Roots Festival. I didn’t play it but I heard it and looked it over. Sounded good while finish was not where high end or even Eastman/Kentucky mandolins are. But if you are like me, fit and finish falls well below playability and tone on my radar.
    Thanks for the input...also, a big fan of GMBR (I filmed all the artist session videos for the past 2 years). Good to see some other folks on here that attend.

Another one for the mix is Boeh mandolins. Stephen seems to have a "stripped down" F5 (similar to what I assume the Country Boy is like). An A5 recently sold on the cafe and in the video posted by the new owner, it sounds great!