Thread: EASTMAN MD 305 AEAE tUNING

Default EASTMAN MD 305 AEAE tUNING

Has anyone had a problem tuning up to AEAE on this mandolin? Didn't know if the extra tension would hurt anything.I noticet quite a few guys on Youtube tuned like this on Trinitys,and others.

Default Re: EASTMAN MD 305 AEAE tUNING

[QUOTE=kkeesy;1760814]Has anyone had a problem tuning up to AEAE on this mandolin? Do I need to go to light guage strings?

What strings are you using now? If it’s lights/ultra lights, I would think you’d be fine. Mediums might be ok, but that’s probably as high as I’d personally want to go. I don’t have any experience with this tuning first hand, I’ll admit, so take that for what you will. Also a bit curious as to what the advantage to this tuning is? I get that you tune to an open “A” chord without the 3rd (which is really just a double stop and it’s octave) but what advantage does that give over standard GDAE tuning? Seems like you’d sacrifice the symmetry, and be locked into certain pattern positions and keys, rather than the flexibility to play patterns anywhere like you can with standard tuning. Maybe I’m missing something though.

Thanks for answering me.1 st mandolin I've really tried to play,lot different than a banjo.Been trying to learn this ::https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGreYV2o53s The Cliffs of Dooneen.Can't find a different version that was my reason.