Thread: Three Mandolin Sound Test

Default Three Mandolin Sound Test

===========

Default Re: Three Mandolin Sound Test

In order - my choices care: #1, #3 and #2 . . . which is kind of sad because I like the aesthetics of #2 the best.

Go figure

1st place goes to #1 - 2nd place goes to #3 minus the scroll
    "I’m not skinning a live cat I’m playing the Mandolin"

1971 Vega Wagon
    1982 Yugo 45
    1983 Chevette Scooter
    1987 Cadillac Allante
    1991 TC by Maserati

Blog Entries

Well, I too like the RV first, the Coleman second, the seagull third. But if I needed a mandolin quick, could play it with a bag over it, and was strapped for cash, I might go with the Seagull.

Full disclosure: I am the current caretaker of a Red Valley AM (and I am enjoying it).
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I neglected to list the three mandolins in video description. They are as follows:
    1. Red Valley AM model
    2. Seagull S8 natural finish
    3. Keith Coleman F style (custom)

So far, it seems Red Valley is prevailing as the favorite!!!

I always loved your rendition of La Sisina and it convinced me to reach out to James Wilson of Red Valley Mandolins when I first saw the video about 5 years ago. He was a pleasure to work with to design the mandolin to my wants. Well, life got in the way, including a marriage ending and getting remarried. I bought a Trinity College TM450 Irish Mandolin from Lark in the Morning and had it reconfigured for left-handed play by the luthier at 12th Fret in Toronto where I live. After about a year with the Trinity College mandolin, I decided I would like to have a mandolin built just for me. I looked at your playing again and decided to reach out to James again to see if he would consider taking up where I had so abruptly left off. He is great to work with and took our conversation up again. He has had some experience now with lefties and so we continued. I ordered a Red Valley AM, spruce top, mahogany back and sides with rosewood binding including the sound hole.

I could not be more pleased. It is a sweet mandolin. It will be mostly used for Irish traditional music with some small forays into klezmer and bluegrass.

Here are a couple of pictures of my mandolin pride and joy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23C6017A-4BF6-460A-847E-4B7FF7B9F644.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	186542

Name:	63789D3A-A96A-4B1A-ADD0-5827472EC782.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	186541

Nice comparison, PH. I like the tone of the Coleman best, however I feel that the Red Valley is better suited to that tune and playing style. Based on that, I pick the Red Valley, Coleman, and Seagull...in that order.

Thanks for the comment. I think the tone of the Coleman is better suited for bluegrass music also. The Red Valley is brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMTO View Post
    I always loved your rendition of La Sisina and it convinced me to reach out to James Wilson of Red Valley Mandolins when I first saw the video about 5 years ago. He was a pleasure to work with to design the mandolin to my wants. Well, life got in the way, including a marriage ending and getting remarried. I bought a Trinity College TM450 Irish Mandolin from Lark in the Morning and had it reconfigured for left-handed play by the luthier at 12th Fret in Toronto where I live. After about a year with the Trinity College mandolin, I decided I would like to have a mandolin built just for me. I looked at your playing again and decided to reach out to James again to see if he would consider taking up where I had so abruptly left off. He is great to work with and took our conversation up again. He has had some experience now with lefties and so we continued. I ordered a Red Valley AM, spruce top, mahogany back and sides with rosewood binding including the sound hole.

I could not be more pleased. It is a sweet mandolin. It will be mostly used for Irish traditional music with some small forays into klezmer and bluegrass.

That is a nice looking mando. James Wilson is meticulous in woodwork and fretwork. The sound i get from mine is bright and quite loud for such a small instrument. Enjoy your beautiful new mando.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMTO View Post

I am still surprised and pleased when I pick up my RV AM custom, built for the previous owner.

I see you have pretty much the same tailpiece that I have. My one rather mild dislike is that tailpiece. Either I haven't figured out the knack yet or it is, to put a good spin on it, a triumph of form over function. When I changed strings last time, I did figure out how to bend each string using a pair of mini-pliers so they would stay hooked while being cranked up to tension. I have to say that it is the trickiest tailpiece for restringing of any that I have restrung. Sure is attractive though.

And the mandolin is a keeper. Love it.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Tailpiece is unique and looks great, but it can be tricky. On the Red Valley I use a capo made for mandolin in order to maintain string in place until there is enough tension.