Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

Default Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

I arrived home to New Mexico a couple of hours ago—our first cases were announced today.

I'm on the board of one of the orchestras I play with. We received a letter today from a pulmonologist who plays with us, regretfully recommending we cancel the upcoming spring concert. Albuquerque has canceled the Gathering of Nations, the largest powwow in North America. The state and NCAA basketball tourneys will be played without spectators. Tucson has canceled the annual book festival. I work for a performing arts organization and am anxious to get to work tomorrow and see what they are thinking about our upcoming events.

This has the potential to wreak havoc on all sorts of performers' pocketbooks.

Looks like a fairly major camp I was set to teach at next month is going to cancel. Pretty big financial hit for me, but I can certainly keep it in perspective with how many people's lives are in turmoil right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    ... This has the potential to wreak havoc on all sorts of performers' pocketbooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schochet View Post
    Looks like a fairly major camp I was set to teach at next month is going to cancel. Pretty big financial hit for me, but I can certainly keep it in perspective with how many people's lives are in turmoil right now.
    ... Which is the reason not to over-react.

This year's novel Coronavirus has become as much a legal-liability and political issue as a medical issue. If panic continues, every financial sector will be effected and you can expect a recession as well as loss of freedoms supposedly based on fear of medical exposure.

I'm just as vulnerable as any of us here, with both age and a suppressed immune system, and being a retired healthcare professional I'm also just as sensitive if not more about loss of life. But we've seen this kind of scare often before and similar situations have not been worth the civil and cultural disruptions that they have caused.

We talked about flu earlier... Has the news media headlined how the scientists missed the right flu virus with the vaccine this year? No. There have been over 16,000 USA flu deaths in the 2019-2020 flu year so far, and that's just the USA. Normal for the USA is between 12K and 61K lives lost per year since 2010, for the world normal is between 250K and 650K lives lost per year. This is all depending on how accurate the flu vaccine has been.

"The CDC has called this coronavirus “a very serious public health threat,” but adds that its immediate health risk to the American public is low."

Let's try to keep this in perspective, and encourage those around us do the same. There's a lot at stake.

A balanced, rational approach is the best. Coronavirus symptoms are fever, cough and shortness of breath, not diarrhea, so people don't need to stockpile TP. Face masks that have been coughed on, sneezed on, or even breathed on in a non-sterile environment for more than just a few minutes are no longer effective and are more likely to incubate viruses than to block them, so using them outside of temporarily in a clean hospital environment is ineffective. Medical Centers are having trouble getting sufficient supplies of these provisions because people are hoarding them. Please try to discourage this among family and friends.

The best personal thing to do is wash your hands. Avoiding indoor crowds if possible is also a good thing to do. If you don't feel good, it could much more likely be a cold or flu, so the best thing to do is simply stay home -- if you feel you are really seriously sick, contact your healthcare provider first before going in to be seen, so they can be prepared to care for you safely.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Coronavirus symptoms are fever, cough and shortness of breath, not diarrhea, so people don't need to stockpile TP.
    I believe the run on TP is mostly driven by the fear of being confined to the house for extended time, either due to illness or quarantine.
    Regardless of the symptoms, that's one commodity that's probably best not to run out of.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    ... Which is the reason not to over-react.

This year's novel Coronavirus has become as much a legal-liability and political issue as a medical issue. If panic continues, every financial sector will be effected and you can expect a recession as well as loss of freedoms supposedly based on fear of medical exposure.

I'm just as vulnerable as any of us here, with both age and a suppressed immune system, and being a retired healthcare professional I'm also just as sensitive if not more about loss of life. But we've seen this kind of scare often before and similar situations have not been worth the civil and cultural disruptions that they have caused.

We talked about flu earlier... Has the news media headlined how the scientists missed the right flu virus with the vaccine this year? No. There have been over 16,000 USA flu deaths in the 2019-2020 flu year so far, and that's just the USA. Normal for the USA is between 12K and 61K lives lost per year since 2010, for the world normal is between 250K and 650K lives lost per year. This is all depending on how accurate the flu vaccine has been.

"The CDC has called this coronavirus “a very serious public health threat,” but adds that its immediate health risk to the American public is low."

Let's try to keep this in perspective, and encourage those around us do the same. There's a lot at stake.

A balanced, rational approach is the best. Coronavirus symptoms are fever, cough and shortness of breath, not diarrhea, so people don't need to stockpile TP. Face masks that have been coughed on, sneezed on, or even breathed on in a non-sterile environment for more than just a few minutes are no longer effective and are more likely to incubate viruses than to block them, so using them outside of temporarily in a clean hospital environment is ineffective. Medical Centers are having trouble getting sufficient supplies of these provisions because people are hoarding them. Please try to discourage this among family and friends.

The best personal thing to do is wash your hands. Avoiding indoor crowds if possible is also a good thing to do. If you don't feel good, it could much more likely be a cold or flu, so the best thing to do is simply stay home -- if you feel you are really seriously sick, contact your healthcare provider first before going in to be seen, so they can be prepared to care for you safely.
    Thanks, Don.
    I'd suggest to isolate the panic makers.

8. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Hasn't affected me yet musically. Jams still going on around here and a festival happened last weekend. Do know folks who are skipping gatherings because of pre-existing health conditions.

Saw that Denmark has cancelled all cultural activities for the next couple of weeks (for now). That impacts some of my friends.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

10. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Houston livestock and Rodeo was cancelled that is big money for Houston's economy they did the first few shows then yesterday cancelled the rest....

12. The following members say thank you to tooloud for this post:

Several local music events have been cancelled, at least for the time being.

Better to close the barn door before the horses escape.

14. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Markus 

Is it true that Ireland canceled St. Pat's Day. IF so, that's getting pretty serious!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Ireland has cancelled parades and other festivities.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    Is it true that Ireland canceled St. Pat's Day. IF so, that's getting pretty serious!
    They not only cancelled St Patrick's day, they also closed every school and college, banned all mass gatherings and basically put the country on lockdown for at least 2 weeks. Excellent choices from those very smart and well-informed people.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

We were scheduled to play at the annual St. Paddy’s Day Parade post-bash at the RiverCenter in Davenport, Iowa, Saturday. That was all canceled last night. It’s the nation’s only bi-state parade (crosses the Mississippi between Illinois and Iowa). The Rock Island (Illinois) Health Department apparently sent up a flare. We’re already talking about doing a Face Book Live broadcast at either 1 p.m. Saturday, when we would’ve performed, or Tuesday, which is the official day.

Time will tell whether this is prudent caution or overreaction. It is perfectly understandable that decision-makers for large events would choose to err on the side of caution.

As a former newspaper editor who is grateful to be able to now spend his mornings drinking coffee, playing mandolin, and hanging out here at the Cafe, I can tell you with great and sober authority that the current media model is to sell clicks by promoting whatever gets people riled up.

A little stoic fortitude and courage will get you a long way these days.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Romkey For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    Thanks, Don.
    I'd suggest to isolate the panic makers.
    I like that idea, but unfortunately we are not the decision makers; in many cases the panic-makers are.

On other online forums I'm seeing that many of the most weekly-income dependent people -- including full-time musicians -- are already really suffering heavily from the quarantines and cancellations in many countries. This is going to affect the world economy pretty quickly if we don't get it under control.

Please ask the decision makers that you have contact with for a "balanced, rational approach".

(I'm sorry in advance to the admins here in the Cafe' if this is going beyond the spirit of this forum.)
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I think an important point to remember is that, at least in Europe, because we have begun to rely on video surveillance for security then the wearing of masks now poses enormous risks. Is it better to encourage people to wear masks to protect each other (you wear the mask to protect your fellow citizens, from an unknown risk from you, right?) or is it better to know who and where people are? Up to now, wearing a mask here in France has actually been illegal. No easy answers.

The virus, or more precisely the fear of it, is a sort of wall.

Another one to remember is that there may (or may not) be different strains of the virus some benign, some not at all. So it’s difficult to makes specific statements about risk.

I agree that reducing big economic and social problems that can be discussed and debated, to the psychology and emotions of the individual is one game that people play.

More Coronavirus info on the Song A Week Social Group:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...674&do=discuss

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Since I said yesterday that most events are still going on where I live, I heard today of performers, not hosts, cancelling two shows. The first involved a musician from Scotland who'd understandably decided to cancel his tour. In the second case, a local folk band, with a member who's an MD in her spare time, cancelled a gig due to the risk. As I mentioned earlier, I'm in the "vulnerable population" so I'm considering cancelling a Song Circle at my home (no money involved), and avoiding other musical and non-musical gatherings until we know what's happening with this disease. As Don and others have said, better safe than sorry. Still, I'm not going to hoard toilet paper and canned goods, hide in a bomb shelter, nor even confine myself to the house at this point. Fortunately, I can still play my instruments even if I become housebound but healthy. I'm impressed with the sanity of this discussion. Thanks, everyone.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Haven't lost a gig yet, thank God. Music is the only way by which I make a living these days... this said...

The amount of confirmed coronavirus cases in Maine equals the number of toilet paper rolls that were available to purchase at my Hannaford supermarket when I stopped by. That would be 0.

Cut the sh!! before I lose mine, people, some of us gotta poop -- see what I did there?
    42 people have been tested so far in Maine, with five outstanding results still out there. I have seen a lot of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey and other plates the last few days as people try to "get out of their town", and the colleges are letting out early and there will be an influx of students back into the state. I hate to say it, but just because we don't have any cases yet, doesn't mean that someone won't introduce it sooner or later. They've tested people in most of the hospitals. The only thing we have going for us, is that generally the population density is a lot lower than most places (meaning there is more area than people). It is very easy where I live to put at least 6 foot between yourself and other people. That may not be the case once the the tourists return. No one is immune, so let's all be smart and altruistic (that's a good word) and think about others.

I think that while right now gigs might not be cancelled, they may be lightly attended. Lots of festivals (Newburyport had a huge literary festival that was just cancelled for this year) are being cancelled, probably some workshops and camps too. Give a little now, and save a lot of grief later.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I was asked several questions at the retirement home before entering on Monday night. They wanted to know if I had been in any crowds larger than 50, knew anyone who just returned from some particular countries, and other personal health issues.

My sister in law was looking forward to a trip to France to see her son play baroque violin. That is cancelled and I worry that he and many other musicians will loose income.

The only 'up side' I can imagine is that this crisis has a unifying aspect that has been missing in our public discussions. (Even this aspect has pitfalls as I trust scientists over pundits and politicians.)
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

29. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Louise, I just saw the post about your mother. My condolences to you. Sorry for your loss.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredK For This Useful Post:

Yup, the University I work at has closed until 29th. Huge implications for students doing modules in recording or studio procedures; no access to equipment or the recording studio to complete assignments. Everybody scrambling to restructure assessments due to lack of access to facilities.

Also Vengerov was due to play the National Concert Hall at the end of the month. Had tickets. Gig was just cancelled

33. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

Fortunately, my gig is still on for Saturday. I need da money!

35. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Yeah, events are being cancelled or attendance is being restricted left and right, so no assisted living gigs for me in the near future. I understand these restrictions as the elderly and otherwise ill are at risk populations, and it makes sense to do the same when there's a bad flu outbreak which these facilities do.

However, I'm in my 40s. If I catch the newest version of coronavirus, I might get a headache, cough, fever and such for a few days, but I'm not going to drool black blood and drag my leg around searching for brains to eat. If my daughter catches coronavirus at daycare, her symptoms will likely be even more mild than mine would be.

I've talked to public health officials trained to handle movie style pandemics and they think people are losing the ability to think rationally on this. Thankfully, I started seeing some health officials publicly come out and try to put a reasoned perspective on it. An article in US News and World Report quoted a physician who pointed out that even though the cited rate of fatalities for coronavirus is higher than that of the flu, the actual fatality rate is likely much lower because most of the people who've gotten the coronavirus probably had mild symptoms and never sought medical attention. Thus the past statistics are skewed as the known cases were the most severe ones to begin with, not all of them.

If any good can come of this, hopefully more people will stay home when sick with whatever they're sick with, will cough or sneeze in a covered up fashion (instead of disgustingly spewing it everywhere), and start washing their hands as they should.

37. The following members say thank you to archerscreek for this post:

My mother is 87 and when she was a child, she remembers her family being quarantined twice as a young girl, due to concern for whatever the current pox/virus was at that time. Big farm family with 10 brothers and sisters -- she remembers playing games, her brothers playing instruments, cooking, etc -- she said it was fun just being together. Of course, maybe her opinions have "sweetened" with time.

Back then, during the Depression, people had fewer choices that people are used to today. There was no money for travel, airfare, eating out, etc.....I'm not sure they even had a car. Expectations were lower. They were forced to stay home, but they probably were going to stay home anyway....

People today have a lot more freedom, financially speaking.

39. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Most of us can have a conversation about COVID-19, such as what we have in this thread, and not feel any increase in anxiety. However, there is a strong potential for some folks to experience heightened levels of stress with each news update or personal anecdote. For those folks, the following (with some minor edits) is from The US Department of Veteran Affairs National Center for PTSD. If you are anxious or stressed about COVID-19 (or any adverse situation for that matter), it offers some useful tips to help you manage what you are feeling. In fact, there are probably a couple of useful takeaways for all of us.

Managing Stress Associated with the COVID-19 Virus Outbreak

Impact of the COVID-19 Outbreak on Individuals and Communities
    The COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak has the potential to increase stress and anxiety, both because of the fear of catching the virus and also because of uncertainty about how the outbreak will affect us socially and economically. There are practical steps you can take to improve your wellbeing.

Coping with the Stress of COVID-19
    Dealing with stress reactions caused by the COVID-19 virus outbreak can improve your health, quality of life, and wellbeing. The following evidence-informed principles have been shown to be related to better outcomes in many adverse situations (Hobfoll et al., 2007). There are key actions within each element that might be especially helpful for those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak (Reissman et al, 2006; Gonzales, 2003).

It’s not necessary to have all elements in place but implementing some of the following suggestions may help you deal with the stress caused by the COVID-19 virus.

Increase Sense of Safety
    Reduce anxiety with healthy actions that make you feel safer. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other experts suggest the following good hygiene habits to limit the risk of infection:
    • Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based
    hand sanitizer.
    • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
    • Properly dispose of used tissues.
    • Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, arm, or elbow if you don’t have a tissue.
    • Clean your hands after coughing or sneezing.
    • Stay at home if you are sick.
    • Avoid contact with those who are sick.
    • Clean and disinfect objects or surfaces that may have come into contact with germs.
    • Make plans for what will happen if someone in the home becomes ill or if quarantine or shelter in-place measures are ordered.

Stay Connected
    • Seek support from family, friends, mentors, clergy, and those who are in similar circumstances.
    • Be flexible and creative in accessing support via phone, email, text messaging, and video calls.
    • Talk to your supervisor about the possibility of working from home temporarily.

Cultivate Ways to be More Calm
    • Realize that it is understandable to feel anxious and worried about what may happen,
    especially when many aspects of life are being affected.
    • If you find that you are getting more stressed by watching the news, reduce your exposure,
    particularly prior to sleep.
    • While circumstances may be stressful and beyond your control, you can try to offset them with positive calming activities. Practice slow, steady breathing and muscle relaxation, as well as any other actions that are calming for you (yoga, exercise, music, keeping the mind occupied).
    • Preparing for a range of possible scenarios and having adequate supplies should sheltering at
    home be necessary can help you feel more calm.

Improve Your Sense of Control and Ability to Endure
    • Accept circumstances that cannot be changed and focus on what you can alter.
    • Modify your definition of a “good day” to meet the current reality of the situation.
    • Problem-solve and set achievable goals within the new circumstances in your life.
    • Evaluate the absolute risk of contracting the virus and recognize the benefits of accepting a
    certain level of risk in order to maintain as much of your normal routine as possible.
    • Those who have been faced with life-threatening situations recommended the following
    strategies:
    • Quickly recognize, acknowledge, and accept the reality of the situation.
    • Make a plan for dealing with feelings of being overwhelmed or overly distressed.
    Preparation can make you feel more in control if these feelings arise and help you move
    through them quickly.
    • Combat unhelpful emotions by using distraction or staying busy---both mentally and
    physically.
    • Avoid impulsive behavior.
    • Get organized.
    • Increase positive coping behaviors that have worked in the past.
    • Shift negative self-statements to statements that allow you to function with less
    distress. Try changing “this is a terrible time” to “this is a terrible time, but I can get
    through this.”
    • Rather than getting discouraged, focus on what you can accomplish or control.
    • Seek out mentoring or information to improve your ability to make decisions and take
    actions when necessary.
    • Try to engage in the situation as a challenge to be met, which can increase your ability
    to act both creatively and decisively (Gonzales, 2003).

Remain Hopeful
    • Consider the stressful situation in a broader context and keep a long-term perspective.
    • Look for opportunities to practice being more patient or kind with yourself, or to see the
    situation as an opportunity to learn or build strengths.
    • Celebrate successes, find things to be grateful about, and take satisfaction in completing tasks, even small ones.
    • Give yourself small breaks from the stress of the situation by doing something you enjoy.
    • Draw upon your spirituality, those who inspire you, or your personal beliefs and values.

References
    Gonzales, G. (2003). Deep survival. Who lives, who dies, and why. True stories of miraculous endurance and sudden death. W.W. Norton & Company. New York.
    Hobfoll, S. E., Watson, P. J., Bell, C. C., Bryant, R. A., Brymer, M. J., Friedman, M. J., et al. (2007). Five essential elements of immediate and mid-term mass trauma intervention: Empirical evidence. Psychiatry, 70(4), 283-315.
    Reissman, D. B., Watson, P. J., Klomp, R. W., Tanielian, T. L., & Prior, S. D. (2006). Pandemic influenza preparedness: adaptive responses to an evolving challenge. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 3(2).

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Concerts and even rehearsals and other gatherings are popping out of existence around me (except for the pub session on Saturday, I hope that stays on).

People are going mad everywhere, as if they had waited for an opportunity like this to do so, as if they enjoyed the change from everyday life, a horror movie in 3d, 360 degrees, and they enjoy it the more knowing that it is not really dangerous, just a light thrill, a reverse carnival.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

The thing to keep in mind is that the primary goal of all of these measures is not prevention. It is to slow the spread so that the health care capacity can keep up with the demand. While there is a prevention benefit, especially with nursing homes and older or immune compromised people, that is a secondary goal. The main goal is to avoid a triage situation. A relatively small percentage of people are actually going to die but more can be saved.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajh For This Useful Post: