Thread: Luigi Ricca mandolin

Default Luigi Ricca mandolin

My brother-in-law gave me a Luigi Ricca Mandolin. From the catalog that Jim Garber posted, I believe it is the Style 4 1/2. My brother-in-law says that it was once restored but it needs work. The bridge, as you can see in one picture appears to be warped and I don't know if it could be straightened. Any ideas? It appears that the original tailpiece has been replaced. I can't figure out how to even open this tailpiece to replace the springs and I am afraid to try too hard as I don't want to break anything. Scale length is about 13 inches. Not sure what strings to use as I don't want to put too much tension on it, if it can't take it. Any suggestions.Attachment 184138Attachment 184139Attachment 184140Attachment 184141Attachment 184142
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2108.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	678.8 KB 
ID:	184137  

Default Re: Luigi Ricca mandolin

Can't open your attachments; if you can post them as you did the one picture, that'll be helpful.

Not sure, from the one pic I can see, that the bridge is "warped"; it might just be installed at a slant. If the tailpiece cover's not hinged, it presumably slides off, and may require a certain amount of effort to move it. String gauge should be extra light; there's a GHS set that other bowl-back owners recommend.

All in all, a nice gift, if you can get it into playing shape.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2109.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	799.5 KB 
ID:	184156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2111.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	713.4 KB 
ID:	184158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2108.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	678.8 KB 
ID:	184157

I find the process of adding pictures a bit confusing, but I did manage a couple more. I will check out that GHS set, thanks. The bridge is definitely warped. I was hoping someone might recognize the tailpiece and know how to open it. I can't figure it out and don't want to force it and break something.

Looks like you've got a nice mandolin there. It's hard to give you any practical input without more detailed pictures. If you could post a picture or two of the instrument back, the side, and also of the other end of the tailpiece, that should help us keep the discussion more specific and hopefully useful to you.

GHS "Ultralight" strings are suitable for old bowlbacks…….inexpensive yet pretty decent performance. https://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a240.html

Your bridge does seem to be warped, but not so much that it isn't useable. A back shot of the tailpiece would help. Nice looking instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The tailpiece is original. That is the fancier version with cutouts in the center. The other of this style has the same shape and sunrays but has LR initials in the center. Sorry about the fancier tailpiece picture. That is all I have of that one.

Name:	401880k_tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	184182 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ricca_tp_fancy.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	184183

I believe there is a possibility that the bridge is not really warped but made that way, sort of a form of compensation, I guess. Here are two bridges from ones I owned. You can see one looks like it is warped.

Name:	ricca4_bridge.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	184181
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Sorry to not respond. I have been shirking computer time. Thanks for the feedback. I guess a need to get some light GHS strings and see how it plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnozouk View Post
    Sorry to not respond. I have been shirking computer time. Thanks for the feedback. I guess a need to get some light GHS strings and see how it plays.
    Good luck with it.
    Your bridge distortion might actually help with the intonation: on old bowlbacks you'd typically have to increase the G string active length compared to the E strings. That is commonly accomplished with bridge/saddle compensating slots in conjunction with the bridge tilt. However, the curvature in your bridge could be used towards that purpose. Please let us know how that goes.