Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Play ALL of Your Mandolins Regularly?

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: Do You Play ALL of Your Mandolins Regularly?

Yup. All one of 'em.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by putnamm View Post
    People have more than one mandolin???
    Hard to say. They all look alike.

3. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

I only have one mandolin. I am primarily a guitar player and I have just one acoustic guitar; however, I do have a handful of electric guitars and I do rotate them regularly because I love them all.

I can't afford to buy another mandolin and I have greatly downsized my guitar collection, keeping the higher quality instruments. So I will make do with what I have. I am blessed to have all of these lovely sounding instruments.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

5. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

No. That's why one day I'm going to sell one of "The Great Ones"
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

These days, I have no pre-determined rotation. I play the instrument that strikes my mood at any given time. That can mean some instruments can, and will, sit unused for weeks or even longer.

As far as instruments “going to sleep,” that’s an occurrence I primarily experience with my Adirondack-topped guitars. If I’ve not played any one of them for a few weeks, I personally find the voice somewhat brittle or harsh and occasionally even muted (maybe compressed?). This occurs on both my modern guitars as well as my vintage models. It can take a few hours of playing for the voice to re-emerge. I don’t seem to experience that effect (or at least to a similar degree) with my Sitka- or Alpine-topped guitars. Nor do I experience that with the any of the mandolins I regularly play; but then these are mostly modern-build mandolins that don’t have Adirondack tops.**

**Slight disclaimer: I do have some pre-1920 mandolins but am uncertain if they have Adi tops. These instruments don’t receive much regular, extended play. When they do, it takes some time for them to “wake up” as well.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I have had up to 6 mandolins from time to time as I buy and sell some of them.
    I wouldn't keep a mandolin if I didn't want to play it at least every few weeks. I often play one for a few days to a week, then pick up another and repeat.
    If I don't have the mood to play one for a month or two, that's a signal to me that I should really consider selling it. (and maybe buying a replacement )

As of now, I'm down to one because of some health issues.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I play my J75 strung mandolin most of the time until my fingers hurt, then switch to the J 74 strung, then to the shorter scale J 74 strung mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Yep, I play it every day. But from the sound of it, neither of us is waking up any time soon.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

I think I go to sleep and it takes a while to wake up. However I think that if one has played an instrument and knows it very well, and I'm talking about huge amounts of practice and performance time. One can tell subtle differences.
    I do know that my mandola needs new strings, my MT got played last night at a gig and the beautiful custom Collings MT2 did not go to the gig as I 'protect' it. But I'll play it today, just to hear the subtle differences. (I'm no Chris Thile as you may have guessed...) It does take some effort to give them all some attention because it is easy to just grab the MT as I know it is in tune and the strings are fine. What gets played usually depends on what gig is coming up. But I love 'em all and that mandola will get some serious attention very soon.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I've started putting my guitars on weekly rotation. Each week, I play one designated guitar for the week. I've only got three mandolins, not including the ocrtave, so it hasn't come to that yet with the eight-stringers.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

My walls are full of idle instruments that loosely count as mandolin family. The two that get played are in cases/bags: the OM, and the electric TG.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I have 4 mandolins. 2 get played very regularly. One barely gets played and I think I need to sell it. It is a great mandolin and was my primary mandolin for several years that I used for performances, but it got replaced by a new purchase that really fits me better. I don’t like to have instruments that don’t get played. It feels wrong, like someone should be enjoying that mandolin like I once did. Also I really want to buy a Selmer style gypsy jazz guitar and could use the money from the mandolin to help fund it.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    I've started putting my guitars on weekly rotation. Each week, I play one designated guitar for the week. I've only got three mandolins, not including the ocrtave, so it hasn't come to that yet with the eight-stringers.
    I did something similar with my guitars for a while, but it was hard to keep up. I really favor small bodied guitars nowadays; I could never part with my dreads for sentimental reasons but they really don't get played as much as they deserve. They used to see more action whenever I was playing with a banjo player, but nowadays if there's a banjo in the room I'm usually playing mandolin.
    2004 Collings MT; 1984 Kentucky KM-1000
    2012 Martin 00-DB; 2018 Gibson Parlor M
    70's & 80's Alvarez Yairi Drednaughts
    "2006" Partscaster Tele

I have 3 mandolins and rotate them consistently, if maybe not equally. I like each one and often think I really just need one. But I'd hate to have to choose. If I went that route I'd probably have to let the market decide, but all 3 up for sale at the same time.

It's fun though to rotate betweens mandolins, as well as other instruments.

I have two mandolins: the Gibson 2AZ I mainly play in classical settings (or at other times when I feel like it); my 2007 Fletcher Block A, I play a bit
    more: at senior centers; and other performances. They are quite different and I really like them for that reason.

I only have one, so that's easy. The problem is that fiddle is my main instrument, and sometimes I can't (or don't want to) leave the time and energy for the mandolin. So sometimes it doesn't get daily love.

I have two and they are on a strict weekly rotation. it's the only fair thing to do.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    I know it sounds like voodoo but I think there’s something to it. Wood is organic. It breathes. It absorbs moisture and dries out. It flexes from the sound pressure and other forces incurred during playing. My mandolins tend to sound better the more I play them. Some sound good all the time, but to my ear they all sound better the more I play them. I have a new mandolin — new as in newly made — that was kind of unimpressive sounding until I played it. They do “play in.” To some extent, in my experience, some to get sleeping if they go unplayed.
    I am organic. I breathe. I absorb moisture and dry out. I flex from sound pressure and other forces incurred during playing. I tend to sound better the more I play them. Sometimes I sound good all the time, but I always sound better the more I play my mandolins.

Sorry to mimic your post but I do think there is a magic relationship between player and instrument. There are subtle changes to both and even perhaps to the ears of the player. In other words, it is not a one-way street.

To answer the general question. I just returned from a weeklong mandolin-less trip. When I left I put my main players away in my downstairs closet. When we got back I really wanted to play some so I picked up my old but neglected 23 Gibson and plunked away on it for sometime. It was as if I forgot what a lovely instrument it is. Sort of like a loyal dog you haven't seen in awhile but who greets you with joy anyway. It didn't resent like at all but sand to me gently. Of course, my other mandolins were a bit jealous but they will have their turn eventually. They must just have patience.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

. . . ummm? Now?

Yes!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

No I don't, I play just a few all the time "my Loar, old Ferns, and my one Loar Buster F-7 conversion!" and I'm trying to sell many that would make players/collectors very happy! I figure even though the ones I posted are very rare and collectable and sound fantastic I'd rather sell them and put the $ toward something I will play! We really live in the best era for handmade high end mandolin builds-there are so many exquisite builders its almost scary! These builders have it going on today, there is no doubt in that theory!

The reality is, that some are just not very playable even though they sound good while some have shorter scale length which means they make it a pain to return to the longer scale mandolins, and a couple have a slightly wider neck/board that really suits me. That means I have favourites and sadly, the others, much as I like them, get ignored most of the time. I wonder if it is like that with a harem? I should be so lucky!

I am one of those rotation guys. I have a number of instruments, but with my mandolins, I do try and play them all in a roundabout manner. I will latch on to one for a while, and then switch just for fun. When I got my '08 Torch and Wire F4, I played it A LOT, because it performed so well. But each has a distinct personality, and I'm not one to leave them in cases. If I have an instrument, I'm going to take it out and play it in public no matter how "rare" it might be because that is why I bought them, and I enjoy sharing the sound with other players. If it sits around too long untouched, I'm going to move it on to another player. They are meant to be played, and often.

bass player gone mando

Yes, I play all of them, in kind of an uneven rotation depending on what's happening and where I am.

However, the mandalas and octave are sadly neglected these days...
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

I play the 2 mandolins (Heiden A5, Stanley F5) regularly, but not the mandola or octave. Those 2 don't get nearly enough playing time.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I play ALL my mandolins irregularly!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1