Thread: Chords for Chris Thile Homespun DVD?

Default Chords for Chris Thile Homespun DVD?

Has anybody charted out the chords for the songs on Chris' Homespun lesson?

I was going through the PDF yesterday and noticed that the notation only has the melody, no chords. He plays rhythm for you to play along with on most of the songs, and it would be great to be able to recreate that with another player. Some of them wouldn't be too hard to chart, or look up from another source (Red Haired Boy, Swallowtail Jig) but others (Hop the Fence, Ode to a Butterfly) are a little more daunting.

I can't imagine I'm the first person who's run into this so I thought I'd see if anyone else had tackled it yet. I attempted a search of the forum first and couldn't find anything, but my apologies if it is out there already and I just failed to find it.

Default Re: Chords for Chris Thile Homespun DVD?

I use a site called Chordify. You "drag / drop" the file and it spits out the song with the chords. It has it's own playback functions and you can print out as .pdf. There's a small subscription fee that I find acceptable. I'd suspect that there are other type sites available, some perhaps free.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Chords for Chris Thile Homespun DVD?

Hi Gibcaster

I have a decent collection of Homespun series, but though I have Chris' Essential Techniques, I haven't worked through it. I've spent more time with Norman Blake, Sam Bush and Mike Marshall at this point. So I looked at the notation; true they don't have the chords charted but at least you have the key signatures for each piece. Shouldn't be too tough to figure out the chords if you know the key and also have Chris to watch as he plays the chords.

Redhaired Boy - A
    Hop the Fence - D
    Swallowtail Jig - D
    Ode to a Butterfly - E

It looks like those are the only four tunes in the PDF booklet I have.

In case you don't already understand a bit about diatonic harmony, here are the chords for those keys:

Key of A: Amaj Bm C#m Dmaj Emaj F#m G#dim
    Key of D: Dmaj Em F#m Gmaj Amaj Bm C#dim
    Key of E: Emaj F#m G#m Amaj Bmaj C#m D#dim

Most common tunes in A will use the I, IV & V chords: A, D, E ... sometimes you'll find the ii or the vi: Bm or F#m

Most common tunes in D will use the I, IV & V chords: D, G, A ... sometimes you'll find the ii or the vi: Em or Bm

Most common tunes in E will use the I, IV & V chords: E, A, B ... sometimes you'll find the ii or the vi: F#m or C#m

Armed with this info, and watching Chris, you should be able to figure this out.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff