Thread: Adagio from Concerto in D Minor (A Marcello & JS Bach, BWV 974)

Default Adagio from Concerto in D Minor (A Marcello & JS Bach, BWV 974)

Alessandro Marcello & J.S. Bach: Concerto in D Minor (S D935 / BWV 974)
    2. Adagio

This is the Adagio movement from the Oboe Concerto in D Minor by Alessandro Marcello (1673-1747), which has become part of the standard keyboard and oboe repertoire through the harpsichord adapation written by Johann Sebastian Bach in 1714. Marcello's urtext is very bare-bones, and most performers therefore use the extensive ornamentation added by Bach.

For my recording as a duet of mandolin and piano, I have used a violin/piano transcription from Musescore:

https://musescore.com/user/30892962/scores/5444619

This uses a piano accompaniment extracted from Bach's version in 1925 by Sam Franco (available from IMSLP), and marries it with a violin part transcribed from Bach's melody line and ornamentations -- Franco's violin part is much plainer.

I am playing the violin part on a vintage Italian bowlback mandolin, using a MIDI piano part generated by Musescore using the built-in piano soundfont. I attach the mandolin part. I also tried to attach an MP3 of the piano accompaniment in case some of you want to try this, but for some reason I'm getting an error message on the upload.

This is really fun on mandolin, but quite stretching to get the timing and phrasing right because of the considerable rhythmic movement in Bach's ornaments - this is what gives the piece its energy and musicality.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Musescore MIDI Piano Soundfont

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adagio_from_Concerto_in_D_minor_BWV_974_by_A._Marcello-J.S._Bach-Violin.pdf  

2. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post: