Thread: Heavy duty gig bag

Default Heavy duty gig bag

Curious if any folks use a heavy duty gig bag when attending outdoor festivals with jams that require a lot of walking? And if so, any recommendations? Was thinking of possibly getting something that would be a tad easier to carry (eg...shoulder straps to free up hands) around than my hard case, but fully realizing that the hard case affords the best protection. Thanks

-Bill
    Bill

Collings MT
    Eastman 315

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Heavy duty gig bag

Levy’s deluxe leather mandolin gig bag
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

3. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

V70416 

Access Stage 3. Really, really nice and relatively inexpensive. More protective than a typical gig bag, Yet comfortable to carry around. The Stage 3 is a lot nicer than the stage one, but I also have one of those and like it, too. Both have an abundance of pocket space.

I really liked my Gator canvass-covered foam case until a friend showed me these Access bags. Still like my Gator, but no comparison to the quality of the Stage Three. The Stage Three is superior to the Gator in both material and quality. Still, it is not rigid like the Gator. It is more rigid than the Stage One, though.

Bottom line; you will receive lots of good suggestions here because there are lots of good choices. Budget and personal taste come into play. Have fun deciding.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I researched them a bit and just picked up a Boulder Alpine for hiking, etc. Have not used it yet but looks good .

Reunion Blues Continental. Bought tenor uke model for my short neck Gibson (per recommendation on this list). These days it carries the A-50 most of the time. Outside pocket holds quite a bit. And it has a nice neck support with Velcro to keep the instrument from moving around.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have a Chronkite leather bag for an A and one for an F style. Good bags, but the Reunion Blues is much better protection.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Access Stage 3. Really, really nice and relatively inexpensive. More protective than a typical gig bag, Yet comfortable to carry around. The Stage 3 is a lot nicer than the stage one, but I also have one of those and like it, too. Both have an abundance of pocket space.

I really liked my Gator canvass-covered foam case until a friend showed me these Access bags. Still like my Gator, but no comparison to the quality of the Stage Three. The Stage Three is superior to the Gator in both material and quality. Still, it is not rigid like the Gator. It is more rigid than the Stage One, though.

Bottom line; you will receive lots of good suggestions here because there are lots of good choices. Budget and personal taste come into play. Have fun deciding.
    +1 for the Access Stage Three. Great bag.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Reunion Blues Continental. Bought tenor uke model for my short neck Gibson (per recommendation on this list). These days it carries the A-50 most of the time. Outside pocket holds quite a bit. And it has a nice neck support with Velcro to keep the instrument from moving around.
    On the reunion blues website, I could only find a concert uke bag. Do you have the model # for the tenor uke bag?

I love my Gator mando case. Liteweight and easy to carry.

Many thanks for the input. I had been seriously considering the Access Stage Three and was happy to hear from those that actually have it. Ordered it today.
    Bill

Collings MT
    Eastman 315