Thread: Finger stretch

Default Finger stretch

I am trying to do a double stop consisting of an "E" on the D string 2nd fret and a "C#" on the G string 6th fret. I have tried every different way and my ring finger just lays on the G string and mutes the D string. It's just too short to come down on top of the string. Any ideas or tips?

Default Re: Finger stretch

Try using your pinky to get the C#
    Clark Beavans

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I suspect that if you rotate your fretting hand such that your fingers are almost parallel to the strings (instead of lying across them), you might well find those notes easier to reach.
    To easily illustrate this, you can hold the mandolin beneath your chin as if you're playing fiddle, and then fret the strings. Your fingers will naturally fall into the position that I describe.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hi CW 1500.

If you’ve not been playing long, you’ll likely have problems like this when making chords and double stops. Most all string players have to deal with it at some point. You should be able to do this after practicing it for a while. It doesn’t come naturally, so it will require practice and you’ll be able to do it.

A couple of tips for this:

1. Mind your fretting hand position as Phil suggested (see video below)
    2. Practice planting the ring finger on C# on G string in a way that you can play the D string open without muting it. Practice that a lot, then when you have that down, add the E note on D string and keep practicing that until you get it. Some folk find it easier to practice by planting the ringer finger first.

If you practice this faithfully, making whatever micro adjustments are needed to get clean notes, eventually it will become easier.

Also, practice this using pinky instead of ring finger. Master both ways.

The video explains about keeping the wrist and forearm straight but relaxed.

https://youtu.be/6bWInIK0o6k

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Good tips above.
    Another is to remember that each time you twist the mandolin to be able to see the fretboard you are making it harder to fret with your fingers. Conscious effort to twist it forward is needed.
    And also that, as Marc says do the practice, and the muscles in your fingers, though very small, will develop a lot. Like training to run a marathon, your body doesn’t look like it’s changed much, but it has.
    Practice.
    Exercises.
    And have fun!

The main tip I would give is the whole relaxed hand / arm thing. If there's tension anywhere then you're risking causing damage to yourself. There's a brilliant book I used to have on "tension" when playing musical instruments. If I remember the title I'll post it, really good read though and worth remembering. Relaaaaax
    I play:
    * Saltarelle Bourroche chromatic button accordion
    * Ozark 2240 Mandolin
    In my spare time I run https://www.mudchutney.co.uk selling folk music and celtic themed t-shirts, hoodies etc.

This is the position my hand is in when I hit those notes..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200303_100412.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	183962