Thread: Boston-area repair people and luthiers

Question Boston-area repair people and luthiers

Hi everyone! I recently got a killer deal on a beautiful old 1920s Gibson A—$600 including OHSC, immaculate pickguard, and L.R. Baggs Radius. It's in amazing condition except for a crack in the top on the treble side near the neck. There seems to be some evidence of a previous repair there (with maybe a cleat) that might complicate things a bit. It could also use a bridge refitting—it's not in full contact on the treble side, so the E and A are pretty muffled. I loosened the strings and put two humidifiers in the case to keep the wood from cracking any further.

I've done some searching through forum threads for Boston-area luthiers and repair people, but they're all pretty out of date at this point and most of those guys have moved or are gone.

Do you know of people#in the Boston area who could do that kind of repair work?#I don't own a car, so ones that are T- or bus-accessible (or even Commuter Rail) would be highly appreciated—otherwise, I'll have to rent a car, which is not un-doable, but is less ideal of course.

Thanks!

Default Re: Boston-area repair people and luthiers

Oh, and since it's not a real thread without photos, here's some that the seller sent me before I bought it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00U0U_jiFEeua9HTX_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	183883

Name:	00z0z_bGCH7CzWcIT_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	183884

Name:	00T0T_jdRTVTx891Z_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	183885

I would highly recommend Bill Tippin in Marblehead, though you would definitely need a car to get there. Jon Mouradian in Wilmington is also excellent but again, car.

http://www.tippinguitars.com/

https://www.facebook.com/MOURADIAN-G...-284455637943/
    Steve

4. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

For T accessible, Yukon Stubblebine in Somerville does really good work, however, he is exceptionally slow and not communicative. You can talk to him before dropping the mandolin off but there is a strong possibility that he may not finish the repair for a few months after what he quotes you without any updates or communication.

You might think about shipping it to a non-T accessible shop for repair as things can really open up when you aren't tied to public transit. I've had work done recently by Trevor Healey in Easthampton (not at all close I know) which was phenomenal.

The Music Emporium in Lexington would be a good place to procure a box and to see who they recommend for repairs these days. You can call them before you go to discuss and get there either by the 77 bus from Harvard plus a 10 minute walk (more frequent) or take the 62 from Alewife which drops off in front of the store (much less frequent).
    Last edited by onswah; Feb-29-2020 at 12:55pm.

6. The following members say thank you to onswah for this post:

Most of the repairs done at Tippin are actually performed by Glenn Nichols who for many years was the head of the finish shop at Santa Cruz Guitars. Glenn is also a French polish expert from his years at Kenny Hill (classical guitar maker). In addition, Glenn does a lot of repair work for The Music Emporium. You can contact him through his website here. http://retrograde-guitars.com/

He also builds guitars under this moniker. He goes up to Marblehead about once a week to Tippin’s shop.

That said, you can also try Max Girouard. He’s in North Western Rhode Island, but well worth the drive. Glenn is on the South Shore of Boston, if I remember correctly, but both these guys have the skills to do what you need.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Ben Pearce in Cambridge does great work, feel free to drop me a pm if you want to get in touch.

10. The following members say thank you to Ethan Setiawan for this post: