Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

Default Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

Dang if you do, dang if you don’t. Sorry I couldn’t resist. A few years back I weighed my then new Hoffee, used Pegasus and found them about the same weight. I store my mandolins horizontally on shelves in a cabinet. Both my Hoffee and Calton require a good bit more vertical space to slide into place and are similarly sized. I recently purchased an Austin Calton and was suprised to find it came without any whiplash protection. The folks at Calton said no one else even request this support but were still supportive enough to cover my DIY supports for a small charge. The rubber seal around the Calton is a bit noisy at the hinge area that they recommend heating with a hairdryer to quite it. I also recently got another newer Pegasus with a small dog cover. The handle and rubber feet seem to be the only changes to my favorite, Sams masterpiece. Like mentioned before these are all three great cases with the Calton and Hoffee design like a hat box and lid compared to the Pegasus cutting the box without a lid along it’s side midway to open. When open the mandolin is half exposed and projecting out of the lower case on a pedestal. The extra latches take no longer to open if you latch and unlatch in sets. 2-4-6 done.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

2. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

dang 

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABDAB036-1330-4DA7-9DF7-75A4C6CA7752.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	624.3 KB 
ID:	183968
    My New DIY F5 and Pegasus from Draper Music(highly recommended).
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

4. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

No, your Colorado Case Cover for the old Calton case will not fit a new one... I found that out.

6. The following members say thank you to samlyman for this post:

dang