Thread: How to approach practicing and improvement?

Default How to approach practicing and improvement?

I want to improve as a player, but I'm not 100% sure how I should be tackling this. As a bit of reference, I've been a guitar player (mainly metal/hard rock) for about 20 years or so, and I've been playing the mandolin for about 8. As a guitarist, I'm largely self-taught, and never had a thorough practice regimen or anything, I just learned songs from tabs.

I really love the mandolin, and I really want to get better at it. I've got a few books (listed below), and I was getting lessons last year, but the teacher was more of a guitar player who understood mandolin, as opposed to a mandolin player. The area I live doesn't have too many teachers around, the closest one is about 15 minutes drive (I know, not really that far away).

The books I have:
    Mandolin Exercises For Dummies
    Hal Leonard Mandolin Method Book 1
    Fretboard Roadmaps
    Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist

I also have a couple of instructional DVDs, Essential Mandolin Techniques by Chris Thile, and Secrets Songs and Tunes by Sierra Hull. I've never used DVDs in the past, so I bought these and haven't really used them. I guess I'm kind of daunted by them?

I think my biggest problem that my practicing is really shambolic. As I've never really had a proper regimen devoted to specific improvement, I don't really know where to start. I feel like my main goal is to be able to solo more confidently. I am pretty confident in my ability to learn chord shapes but soloing confidently is something that's always been an issue for me, even(especially?) as a guitarist.

I also want to be better at reading sheet music, I get the basic concepts and can kinda figure things out but it's a VERY slow process. I doubt I'll ever be able to sight read, but to reach a happy medium would be great.

Sorry for the massive, rambling post!

Default Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

Develop the habit of practicing at a specific time. Here’s a practice schedule:

Warmup. 10%
    Technical exercise, chords, scales, arpeggios 30%
    New repetoire 30%
    Old repetoire 30%

Repeat daily, make it fun. Pay attention to the sound you generate. Vary to meet your needs and desires.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Work on your scales every day. Just like singing and playing guitar, the guitar has to go on autopilot. The scale , i.e. pentatonic scale in the given chord or key. Strangley, i learnt to drill 8 note scales first. It seems like there's more melody notes to be found in an octave. Learning to improv just takes time. I personally wouldn't work on anything that wasn't either my style or more specifically songs or tunes, so as to not waste one's time. Play a bunch with forgiving folks. 3 times a week is optimum. 9 hours a week, plus an hour a day, is 16hrs. a week. Times 52 is 832hrs. well spent. In the 90's, i was doing about 18hrs a week for five or six years. Builds hours fast. The last 5 years i've maybe only put in 100hrs a year. We don't rehearse. Wish we did.

5. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Another approach: Matt Flinner occasionally offers an online course devoted to practice techniques. Check his website. Frequently there’s a link on the cafe.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

7. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Mandolessons.com

If you have an iPhone then try ‘Sight reading’ app.

Use a program, BandCamp or metronome that wont stop for a certain length of time, you have to start it, and you have to finish it, go so slowly that you don’t make mistakes, force you mind to think about patterns (or ‘chunks’) on the fretboard if your mind begins to wander. A chunk is a movement of the hand that goes from start to finish without you consciously thinking about it, well you only think of the beginning. It’s also thinking in terms of finger flow of the five letters ‘s-o-u-n-d’, but instead you think ‘sound’.

Or ‘aDBFE’ that you read, and the movement your hand has to make to get what that group sounds like, if that makes sense.
    Good luck.

9. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Check out the book The Musician's Way by Gerald Klickstein (Amazon link). For me it had great advice on structuring practice and how to approach learning difficult pieces. Applicable to any instrument.
    Eastman MD315

11. The following members say thank you to LoveTheDrake for this post:

Nudging one's self forward is a part of this practice. Playing scales and arpeggios is great, finding tunes that are musically and technically challenging is important too. OF course these tunes will keep changing as you grow, and when look back you notice that once tunes that were once musical Mount Everest are quite doable. In this process be self nurturing but don't baby yourself. Warm up, hit the challenge and wind down on stuff you know well.

13. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Hi Simon.

Can you be more specific about the sight reading app you recommend? there are a lot of options...

j
    1955 Levin 52
    1993 Flatiron 3MC
    2019 Meredith A5
    1906 Gibson A-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jean Andreasen for this post:

Blog Entries

Ha ha! Speaking of rambling, see my rant about variations on fiddle tunes from yesterday. ... The first thing I would address is the "shambolic" part. In my opinion, you need to be deliberate. You need a SYSTEM that replicates itself and guarantees progress. Try to pick a time when you can practice, even if it's 15 minutes. Pete Martin has some GREAT YouTube video practice tips I've been putting to use.

1. Work in five minute blocks. (This really works!) Decide you're going to work only playing the first two measures, or memorizing them, or working on a variation over them. Set a timer. Then take a little 1 or 2 minute break -- look out the window, warm up your coffee. Then deliberately pick something specific to work on for the next five minutes, set the timer, and go.

2. Use a metronome.

3. Remember that practice is different than playing (running tunes you already know isn't really getting you anywhere new, unless you're working on a difficult passage or right hand technique or something that constitutes "practice").

4. Recommend starting sessions with 5 minutes of scales and arpeggios. First position scales all around the circle of 4ths is a great warm up.

5. Be satisfied with small improvements. If you just memorize one small bit of music, or learn to play a difficult passage that was tripping you up, that's progress. And progress is cumulative, if you have a SYSTEM (deliberate daily practice).

6. Have fun.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Romkey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Andreasen View Post
    Hi Simon.

Can you be more specific about the sight reading app you recommend? there are a lot of options...

j
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B72A30F-4740-4593-8CB5-BAF0787FA930.jpeg 
Views:	172 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	183849
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8AB6CBF-AA2E-4B81-B03F-BABB09C161C8.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	183850

Hi Jean I just looked (iphone) and the program’s called sight read.
    But I can’t find it in the Apple store now, perhaps it was too good?

It’s an extremely simple app that doesn’t collect much ongoing data from you.

All it does is play a note every second or so, (adjustable), pitch at random in the violin range and then it shows you what the note looks like as notation. It doesn’t care what your score is. It’s up to you to think about how you’re doing, which notes you have problems with.
    That’s it, oh and it doesn’t pause. It’ll play like that the whole day.

19. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Another way to advance quite quickly is to join the Song A Week Social group here on MandolinCafe.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67
    It even helps if you write a post and declare your intention to learn and record the next week’s tune.

Quality is not important, you will be praised just for posting!
    (Because posting your attempt is a great achievement)

And next week we begin again at song number 1, (of 500+) so there will probably be a big online party with famous mandolinists joining in too. (Friendly bunch are mandolinists)

21. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Since you are asking about the subject of practice itself, I’ll add a recommendation to the advice already given above. Check out the book, The Practice of Practice,​ by Jonathan Harnum. It is full of encouragement as well as factual studies and suggestions - a book about understanding practice - for musicians. I have it as an audio book and have listened to it numerous times. It has helped me to gain some direction in my practice as a mostly self taught musician.

Image links to amazon page, NFI

Name:  51dtrHPNH4L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  30.5 KB

If I simply had the book to read, I'm not sure if I'd have gotten as much from it. Listening to it via audio has definitely been a big help.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Feb-27-2020 at 1:05pm. Reason: Link and more info
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Somewhere (perhaps in an MC post) I read that Isaac Stern recommended:

30% scales, etc.
    30% technical studies, etudes, etc.
    30% repertoire

Not sure about the missing 10% ... but this is what I do regardless of the amount of time I have on a given day:

10% warm up
    30% scales, etc. (using Julin's Mandolin Exercises for Dummies)
    30% studies/etudes (slowly working my way through Calace's method (as edited by Marshall & Lichtenberg))
    30% on pieces I can almost play (Gervasio sonatas, Leonardi's "Souvenir de Sicile" (thanks to a pdf offered in the Classical forum)) and pieces I can't play (Bach sonatas)

Am I making progress? My two dogs, JoJo and Koukou, both agree that they've heard improvement over the last few months. I give them a treat.

Joe

25. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Blog Entries

OK two problems. Possibly same solution. Get an instructor. Easy to do these days, especially with Skype. You can get a teacher anywhere in the world and meet once a week on line.

Problem one - unclear non specific goals - a good mandolin instructor, (not a guitarist taking on mandolin students) can really help you prioritize your goals and work efficiently to achieve them.

Problem two - practice motivation - I know for me I will let myself down much sooner than let someone else down. An instructor you meet with regularly helps with being motivated to make some progress by the next class. You will be less likely to let your instructor down. Human nature.

Good luck. Remember that no matter what be patient. No way around it, it takes about ten years to sound like you have been at this for a decade.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

27. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Wow, there are some awesome tips here! Thanks so much all for your advice, I think I'm gonna get off my ass and check that teacher's availability, and start figuring out some more concrete goals, then structure the practice sessions around those.

I'm quite keen on learning David Benedict's Super Mario medley so I'll start basing part of my practice sessions around that.

Your advice is very much appreciated, thanks again all, and please don't stop with the tips!

I'll also add to see if you can play with someone else, preferably better than you are. I learned a ton of new tunes and pushed myself to master them because a person I play with had them down cold and I wanted to play them with her. And I was way more motivated to learn them because I didn't want to sound bad when we got together. Pride does wonderful things if you use it to move yourself up a level.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

30. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Highest priority for me would be to learn how to play the simple melody of any vocal tunes you like. This builds your intuition. Like being able to “sing” with the mandolin. Also, focus on concepts that are of interest to you, that you like to hear others play. Double stop, cross picking, blues / Monroe style, etc. Then work on tunes that have those concepts as part of that tune. For me, once I started doing this, things absolutely exploded. I invested the time and cash in finding the right mentor, which for me was Emory Lester. The above outlines much of his philosophy, and WOW is it working. He’s a great mentor, coach, all of it.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

32. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbroadbridge View Post
    I want to improve as a player, but I'm not 100% sure how I should be tackling this. As a bit of reference, I've been a guitar player (mainly metal/hard rock) for about 20 years or so, and I've been playing the mandolin for about 8. As a guitarist, I'm largely self-taught, and never had a thorough practice regimen or anything, I just learned songs from tabs.

I really love the mandolin, and I really want to get better at it. I've got a few books (listed below), and I was getting lessons last year, but the teacher was more of a guitar player who understood mandolin, as opposed to a mandolin player. The area I live doesn't have too many teachers around, the closest one is about 15 minutes drive (I know, not really that far away).

The books I have:
    Mandolin Exercises For Dummies
    Hal Leonard Mandolin Method Book 1
    Fretboard Roadmaps
    Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist

I also have a couple of instructional DVDs, Essential Mandolin Techniques by Chris Thile, and Secrets Songs and Tunes by Sierra Hull. I've never used DVDs in the past, so I bought these and haven't really used them. I guess I'm kind of daunted by them?

I think my biggest problem that my practicing is really shambolic. As I've never really had a proper regimen devoted to specific improvement, I don't really know where to start. I feel like my main goal is to be able to solo more confidently. I am pretty confident in my ability to learn chord shapes but soloing confidently is something that's always been an issue for me, even(especially?) as a guitarist.

I also want to be better at reading sheet music, I get the basic concepts and can kinda figure things out but it's a VERY slow process. I doubt I'll ever be able to sight read, but to reach a happy medium would be great.

Sorry for the massive, rambling post!
    Lots of great tips here. May I add a couple more?

If yes, read on...

Whenever I get a new student, I ask two questions: why do you want to play? And what song or piece would you like to play?

Usually the answer to the first one is for fun. It doesn’t matter. But think about why you’re playing the mandolin. If it’s for home, or for performance, or something else, then you can start to set goals.

The second answer helps you map the initial road. Work on or toward that song or piece. Set small achievable goals and reward yourself (a chocolate, or something little) when you reach it.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

34. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Blog Entries

A simple way around it is to permanently improve the small things you're not good at. One small step at a time.

36. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I hate "practice", have my whole life. But. No one ever gets good at anything without, practice.

38. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

If your goal is to solo more confidently, practice doing that.

Just like anything else, you manage it by slowing down and working on small sections.

40. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

I really like that "The Practice of Practice" book. Best book I've personally seen on the subject.

I have 4 videos of practice suggestions you may find useful here:

https://youtu.be/ISHvWO7rqKE
    https://youtu.be/x-Auh6JwpTg
    https://youtu.be/JMtVAUz2FHw
    https://youtu.be/Gvuu6ohbuB4
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I try hard to spend some time with a metronome regularly, particularly if I'm working on a typically fast played tune. You'll be amazed at how that can help you grow, even just with practicing scales.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

44. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Update for those who might be interested: I had my first lesson with a proper mandolin teacher, and it was an actual revelation, I'm so disappointed I didn't do it earlier.

He gave me a few tips on technique and how to get a good tone, and probably the most revelatory of all, I finally understand WHY it's important to learn arpeggios, and by the end of the session I was already feeling way better about the concept of soloing and improvising.

My teacher's also provided me with a Bach piece to get started on which he said will be a great technique exercise and will revolve around arpeggios so will be really good for my development.

Thanks so much all for your great advice, and as before it's always great to have more tips so keep 'em coming!

46. The following members say thank you to cbroadbridge for this post: