Thread: Thomastik medium on Eastman MD305?

Default Thomastik medium on Eastman MD305?

Hi,
    I am looking for a more warm and "jazzy" tone on my Eastman MD305.
    Are Thomastik medium strings a good idea or does the instrument need the tension of strings like the EJ74?

Thank you for your help.

Hans

Default Re: Thomastik medium on Eastman MD305?

Hi Hans,

I have had Thomastik Mediums on a number of different instruments ranging from a Weber Vintage A, to a Crystal Forest Flat-top A/N, to my Phoenix Neoclassical (made for Thomastik Mediums). The results vary greatly one instrument to the next. I happen to like what they did to each of these instruments, but to varying degrees. Ultimately, I only continued with them on the one that was made for them (the Phoenix), but the experiment was worth the price of admission.

That said, I loved the Jazz Mando Flat Wounds Ted Eschliman used to offer on his site, on that Weber. They sounded and felt wonderful.

Why not start with something less-expensive that many players like? That would be D'Addario EFW74 strings. Flat wounds at around 1/3 the price of the Thomastiks.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I like the heavy set for arch-top mandolins. The mediums are too light!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I was thinking of trying the Thomastik medium on my Martin bent top mandolin for two reasons. First, I was searching for strings that would work well for tunes with a lot of tremolo, and thought these or the Dogal Calace might be a good choice. Second I don’t like changing strings and I heard the Thomastiks can last for a year.

I agree with fatt-dad, try the heavy gauge first, TI mediums are thinner. I think the heavy gauge have the wound A string, too.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

yes the Heavy set has a wound A string. Thomastik strings last a long time. Then again, I'm not a big string changer!

I use the medium set on my flat-top (not always, but they are well suited for it).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

The tension does matter so TI's should be heavier for an Eastman 305. Trouble is that expensive strings are made for expensive instruments. I know I'll get some critics arguing the contrary. But the point is that the Thomastiks have qualities that are best realized in a sensitive and therefore expensive, instrument.

D'Addario EFW74's are a great alternative because they have a little more 'punch' for a less sensitive instrument. And they are similar in tension (I believe) to the D'Addario EJ74's. Not to mention the cost savings over Thomastiks.

I've used them both and really, the EFW 74's are a darn good set of strings.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

The TI stark's are far lower tension, they feel slightly rubbery underneath the fingers, like fiddle strings do. I just bought a mandolin with a set of the D'Addario flatwounds on it, they seem to be a decent string but far higher tension and a different sound and feel, try both and do some recording so you can compare the difference in sound on your mandolin.

Blog Entries

I liked TI Mittels on my Eastman F hole mandolin. I'm not a bluegrasser.I felt the tone was similar with the now gone Jazzmando Flatwound strings and the D Addario Flatwound strings. The TIs sure lasted a loooong time for me.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

My preference would be for the heavy (stark) on the Eastman. But mediums might work.

D'Addario FW74 are nice, but sometimes are picky on the instrument. They don't work well on my Collings MT. However, they are perfect on a friend's Austin Clark F.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

If you're thinking about Thomastik, you might want to do it soon. Just got an email that Thomastik violin strings are going up in price. Not sure if that will translate to other instruments as well, but wouldn't be surprised.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Hello everyone, thank you for so much input. It is great to be part of this community!
    Hans

I have used Thomastiks for years, both on my custom Labraid as well as my Breedlove OO (made in Bend Oregon, not overseas). They perform great on both instrument as others have said and I really like the tone that each instrument has with these strings. I also agree with others that the OP should try out Flatwounds first by give the D'Addario's a go as flat wounds are a different feel and not every player likes it.

As to price, yes, they are expensive. I am getting ready to order two new sets at $54 each from my vendor of choice (Strings By Mail). However, the life of the strings outlasts (IMHO) far less expensive strings (pick your maker here).
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

I am happy with the D'Addario FW74. They sounded a little too "silver" the first day, but now they are fine. Together with a different plec the Eastman got a completly different voice now

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HansHH For This Useful Post: