Thread: Three mandolins at once

Default Three mandolins at once

I went to see David Bromberg open for Hot Tuna at the Filmore in SF last weekend. While it was a largely electric show, Bromberg, his fiddle player and his guitar player did a fiddle tune on mandolins in three part harmony that was amazing. Fun stuff.

Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Cassidy have now played the Filmore in seven different decades. Jorma is rockin' the house at age 79. Jack can't be much younger. Excellent power trio, Marshall half stack and all.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Default Re: Three mandolins at once

Who was playing guitar with Bromberg? The last times I saw him, Mark Cosgrove was playing with him. David said it was humbling being the second best guitarist in the band. Mark Cosgrove is an outstanding mandolin player as well as one of the best flatpickers in the United States.

Cosgrove was teaching at Kaufmann Kamp one time when I was there. Bromberg showed up unannounced to visit and did a few tunes on the Wednesday evening show. He walked into the Kamp store to talk to Kaufmann while I was in there . I was surprised how tall he is. He is well over 6 foot. On album covers he did not seem like that big a guy.

I don’t remember his name, but if he was a really good guitar and mandolin player with a shaved bald head, whose acoustic was a Collings, I guess it was him.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

That sounds like Mark. He performs in his own right and with a couple of other bands as well as with Bromberg.

http://www.mcosgrove.com/

Pretty good fiddler too. Guitars were going through Tone King amps. Great size room too, and the sound is dialed in, but LOUD. Bromberg played a fair amount of acoustic, but drummer in the band sound levels. Second guitar played mandolin on the acoustic stuff. Talented guy. I was right in front of the stage and couldn't quite see what brand mandolin he was playing.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Bromberg has been doing 3 mandolin numbers in his show since the mid 70s. Good to see that he is back at it.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Two great acts. Congrats.

Don't Grisman, Darol Anger, and Todd Phillips all play mandolin on "Pneumonia"?

Jack is four years younger than Jorma. I mentioned in another thread that I saw them at The Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach. Jorma and Jack sounded great that night and I loved Jorma's eclectic wailings on a Firebird. It's also the first time I've seen a Gibson Chet Atkins Steel String on stage in years. I only wish Barry Mitterhoff could have joined them for a set.
    Last edited by Scotter; Feb-26-2020 at 11:19am.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Jack is one of the best posers in rock. He was mugging for the photographers all night long.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Long Live Jorma.

Sounds like a great concert!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------