Thread: Bad tuner?

Default Bad tuner?

Trim to trouble shoot a little problem tha I can’t figure out. I have a Pav A satin. (It’s new) I love it but i dont love the tuners. They re not smooth but that may not have anything to do with the issue. The second A string keeps going flat. The first one is fine. This drives me crazy. My I initial thought was the tuner ? Other than that one, it holds fine despite the crappy feel of the tuners. I’m not sure how fast it goes flat but it’s multiple times while I’m playing. I had it mic’d last night and that amplified the problem. - pun intended.

Default Re: Bad tuner?

It's probably the string nut. Getting it set up by someone competent will cure it if that is the problem.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic1 View Post
    Trim to trouble shoot a little problem tha I can’t figure out. I have a Pav A satin. (It’s new) I love it but i dont love the tuners. They re not smooth but that may not have anything to do with the issue. The second A string keeps going flat. The first one is fine. This drives me crazy. My I initial thought was the tuner ? Other than that one, it holds fine despite the crappy feel of the tuners. I’m not sure how fast it goes flat but it’s multiple times while I’m playing. I had it mic’d last night and that amplified the problem. - pun intended.
    Check how the problematic string is held on its post and clean and lube the nut slots. These solve 99.9% of problems with going out of tune. Even the crappiest tuners won't go out of tune by themselves, the worm gear just doesn't allow that. Often one string that goes more out of tune is the one that your picking hand technique favors - some folks have stronger downstroke, some upstroke...
    Adrian

I have had strings that the winding on the loop slips and it goes flat until it can't slip any more. This is rare, but I have had it happen a couple times.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!