Thread: Coming unglued-several issues

Default Coming unglued-several issues

Just getting in an old bowlback with pretty curled up, probably celluloid inlayed pickguard.Considering the progressive decay and flammability issues, I’m thinking of taking the old one off and going with new stuff - it’s a simple, one-piece pattern.
    So, is there a good way to unstick one of these without endangering the wood top or setting fire to the thing? I’m assuming that there’s HHG under, but it may have reacted with the celluloid. No pix yet.

Default Re: Coming unglued-several issues

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Just getting in an old bowlback with pretty curled up, probably celluloid inlayed pickguard.Considering the progressive decay and flammability issues, I’m thinking of taking the old one off and going with new stuff - it’s a simple, one-piece pattern.
    So, is there a good way to unstick one of these without endangering the wood top or setting fire to the thing? I’m assuming that there’s HHG under, but it may have reacted with the celluloid. No pix yet.
    I accomplished this by getting a small spatula with a thin, flexible blade -- the kind they use to ice cakes. Then, I held the tip of the spatula over the flame of my gas-powered kitchen range until it was hot. I then slipped the spatula blade carefully under the most curled-up part of the pickguard and gave it a very gentle push.

I had to repeat it several times. But eventually, the hide glue melted and I was able remove the pickguard.

Let me advise you to be patient and careful.

3. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Ok, inlay removed. Two more questions: First, the original celluloid is gold foil backed. Was this common ca. 1900? Assume to add some reflectivity, as done with gemstones. Second: I need 0.040” approximately tortoise pattern. There is quite a bit of this available, mostly from China, but most is called ‘celluloid’ rather than something less explosive.
    Does anyone know how to find .040 that is definitely not nitrocellulose? Or, do restorers just use whatever, assuming that it will be decades before the material starts to get touchy?

Stew Mac sells a nice material called Tortoloid. I believe it is casein based. No flammability or degradation issues, and available in a variety of patterns. It’s a little thinner than you want, .025, but if you did some kind of backing it might work. It really is nice looking stuff.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A