Thread: My new electric mando - Alden Mandocaster

Default My new electric mando - Alden Mandocaster

Thanks for the recommendations folks!

I'd recently asked regarding a decent quality solid-body electric mandolin to get in some practice time in the evenings when the rest of the family sleeps. I'm a beginner, I have an Eastman 304, that was just too loud.

A member of the forum saw my post and offered me his Alden Mandocaster. If I'm correct, this is the UK version of Eastwood's Mandocaster. Same everything, different color options. In this case I'm delighted with the "Butterscotch" finish. I tried to capture it well enough, but depending on the lighting it can appear light yellow to deep orange.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200220_124704.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	183780

It arrived in stated condition, but badly in need of a setup. The neck was bowed out, and I wasn't able to budge the truss rod. Knowing well my own limitations, I took it over to Manella Guitars, which was fairly close to me and came highly recommended.

Frank (Instrument and Amp tech) allowed me to sit and learn from him as he made adjustments. Thankfully, with the aid of a long socket on the allen key, he was able to loosen the truss rod and straighten the neck out. After that he checked the frets and noticed that the 10th fret was a bit raised compared to the 9th and 11th, but not by a lot. I could play on the 9th fret without any buzz, so we decided that it wasn't an issue worth addressing. Finally, with the neck straight, the action could be lowered pretty significantly at the bridge.

Now there is no buzzing at any fret, and the action is nice and fairly low. I'll say that it's a very comfortable instrument for me to hold and sit or stand with. The action is a little higher than on my 304, but it's not uncomfortable by any means. The neck is a bit thicker and has a different profile than the Eastman, but no complaints- it's still much more comfortable for me to practice with than a guitar.

As many have noted regarding their Mandocasters, the pups are pretty anemic in general, with very little response for the G courses in particular. I don't plan to plug it in, but if I do it's nice to have 2 pups to play with instead of just one. They're standard size so replacing them should present no issue, if I ever have a need.

A real issue that I'm having is in finding a case for it. I understand that a Fender MC510 would work fine, but I can't find one. If you have any cheap recommendations I'd be happy to hear them, otherwise a gig bag might be good enough. I just want to keep it humidified when it's put away, not planning to gig with it or anything.

Anyways, once again I appreciate your help, thanks all!
    Last edited by zakry3323; Feb-20-2020 at 1:28pm. Reason: Misspelling

2. The following members say thank you to zakry3323 for this post:

neilca 

Default Re: My new electric mando - Alden Mandocaster

Nice.

Can I ask the nut width?

I have the Eastwood version. Replaced the bridge with one that adjustable saddles for each string to improve intonation because I went with a custom string gauge setup., Replaced the neck pup with a cheap 2 bar humbucker and the bridge pup with a lipstick style single coil (I use the neck pup almost exclusively) also replaced the big selector switch with a mini-switch that I located at the screw hole closest to the volume knob, because I would hit the big switch too much while playing. Almost as much fun to play as my Flatiron, but on the rare occasions I use for an electric jam with friends, it takes a little time to get used to the neck profile difference. I'm working up the courage to modify that. I'd also like to change the pick guard shape for purely aesthetic reasons, but while I'm at it, I will move the selector switch to between the volume and tone knobs.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

5. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

Eastwood sells hard shell cases for $189, it was $99 when I bought my Mandocaster soon after they came out.. They provide gig bags with the Mandocaster, but I didn't see that item separately on their web page. it might be worthwhile to ask them. their guitar gig bags go for as low as $40.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

7. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BoxCarJoe View Post
    Nice.

Can I ask the nut width?
    Sure, it's 1 1/8"