Thread: Chris Thile

Default Chris Thile

Saw Chris tonight in Lawrence. All of his stuff is worth listening to; however, I really appreciate his understanding of Bach. The selections from the Partita in Dm were the highlights of the show to me.
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

2. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

Default Re: Chris Thile

I would love to see Chris Thile live. Haven't had the opportunity to, just yet.

Thanks for your post about Chris's concert. Given the wide variety of musical styles and band types he plays in, I am curious what sorts of music he played during the concert you attended. Could you give a summary of what his concert was like? Was he playing with a band? If so, what was the band composed of? What fraction of his concert was pop/vocal oriented? Was there anything in there from Goat Rodeo or the Edgar Meyer duo CDs? Thanks!

Is he using the new D'Addario pick yet? ;-) lol

Quote Originally Posted by karmar View Post
    Thanks for your post about Chris's concert. Given the wide variety of musical styles and band types he plays in, I am curious what sorts of music he played during the concert you attended. Could you give a summary of what his concert was like? Was he playing with a band? If so, what was the band composed of? What fraction of his concert was pop/vocal oriented? Was there anything in there from Goat Rodeo or the Edgar Meyer duo CDs? Thanks!
    It was Chris by himself. One mic covered both mando and voice. about 50/50 instrumentals vs songs with lyrics but even the songs with lyrics had long instrumental breaks. You got a pretty eclectic mix everything from Nickel Creek songs to Live From Here compositions, to Bach (all Bach selections were from the Partita in Dm and were interspersed about 1 every 4 or 5 songs).

For his encore he actually stepped in front of the mic for the last verse and you got an almost coffee house feel from him and his mando
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

Quote Originally Posted by RFMando View Post
    Is he using the new D'Addario pick yet? ;-) lol
    What kind and color socks was he wearing?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Unhappy Re: Chris Thile

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    It was Chris by himself. One mic covered both mando and voice. about 50/50 instrumentals vs songs with lyrics but even the songs with lyrics had long instrumental breaks. You got a pretty eclectic mix everything from Nickel Creek songs to Live From Here compositions, to Bach (all Bach selections were from the Partita in Dm and were interspersed about 1 every 4 or 5 songs).

For his encore he actually stepped in front of the mic for the last verse and you got an almost coffee house feel from him and his mando
    I am SO disappointed (in myself) to hear that! I would have attended - the concert was only 20 minutes from my house and I would have eagerly paid just about anything for a front row seat to see Chris perform solo (or really in any instrumental setting) But the advertisement on the concert web page had him playing with a group with a female vocalist and I thought it was going to be more of the Prairie Home Companion thing with skits, etc...