Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Hull tour

Default Sierra Hull tour

Hi,

Sierra Hull starts a tour next week and is coming to my area. It's about a 2 hour drive to the venue and might require an overnight stay if it lets out really late - a bit of a commitment along with the ticket price. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback if you've been to one of her past shows...

General impressions?
    Length of her set? If the show starts at 8 with an opener, Sierra starts at 9:15 (?), and maybe it's over by 11?
    Mix of her albums and some traditional music?

Anything you can add would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: Sierra Hull tour

I wish Sierra's tour stopped within two hours of my city of residence. That'd be awesome. Also, an end time of 11pm with a two-hour drive doesn't seem to require a hotel room.

My wife's enthusiasm for something is inversely correlated with the distance from her normal bedtime...

I'd drink a coke to stay awake over the two mountain passes, which means I probably won't fall asleep until 3...

Quote Originally Posted by mandokismet View Post
    My wife's enthusiasm for something is inversely correlated with the distance from her normal bedtime...

Ha ha ha, 10-4, my good man!

I just saw her on Saturday night in Pittsburgh ... it was nothing short of incredible.

The musicianship was just over the top...it’s a four piece band: Sierra on mandolin family instruments and guitar. Also a fiddle player, bass player, and electric guitar player- they are all Nashville pros.

Her singing has really matured... her mandolin breaks were amazing and honestly only surpassed by the kind of stuff that Thile alone can do.

They played a lot of the material from the soon-to-be released album- don’t expect traditional bluegrass, but the songs were really melodic, catchy, bluesy, intricate gems... just awesome. I usually need to hear a song a few times before I like it... I liked her new songs immediately.

Sierra sang / played a few songs solo on guitar without the band... I saw more than a few moist eyes.

She and the fiddle player took fiddle tune requests from the audience and played a version of Whiskey Before Breakfast that brought the house down.

They did an excellent cover of “Mad World” by Tears for Fears.... got a great response from the audience.

And I have to be honest, I’m not really even a Sierra Hull fan... I don’t own any of her albums. I just like to hear live music... I’ve been to more concerts than I can remember, and this was one of the best.

So, yeah, if you make the effort to go see her, I think you’ll have a great time.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jstring For This Useful Post:

Was her husband a part of the band? He's one badass musician.

Just checked her tour schedule, no close shows to me
    Wow, she’s sharing stage with Tommy Emanuel, a few dates, in March!
    That’s got to be a great show!

MAR 12 THU
    Tennessee Theatre
    Tommy Emmanuel
    Knoxville, TN, United States
    TICKETS RSVP
    MAR 13 FRI
    Taft Theatre
    Tommy Emmanuel
    Cincinnati, OH, United States
    TICKETS RSVP
    MAR 14 SAT
    Brown Theatre
    Tommy Emmanuel
    Louisville, KY, United States

I saw her with her husband in a smallish auditorium about a year ago. She is freakin awesome. (Husband was fantastic too) You will for sure be glad you went. While in town she also gave a clinic in a small group setting and I heard that was amazing too but I couldnt make that one. If she is doing one in conjunction with her concert it will be worth an extra days stop over to attend.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I also saw the Pittsburgh show and agree with everything Jstring said above. I came away inspired.

She is comfortable with herself and her skills. It was clear she enjoys performing.
    Eastman 815 f
    Northfield Calhoun
    Saga kit campfire/travel mando
    Music Makers Dakota

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Saw her in Bethesda, opening for Jake Shimabukuro. Great set, mostly from the new album.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I saw her with her husband in a smallish auditorium about a year ago. She is freakin awesome. (Husband was fantastic too) You will for sure be glad you went. While in town she also gave a clinic in a small group setting and I heard that was amazing too but I couldnt make that one. If she is doing one in conjunction with her concert it will be worth an extra days stop over to attend.

I also saw her about three weeks ago with the group mentioned above and the show was wonderful. I have seen her many times and she continues to get better. My wife was blown away with how much she has improved. She took requests, and then stepped up to the front of the stage and did a final number without amplification, but it was very personal and intimate. Her husband Justin was not part of this show. I also attended a workshop she did as an adjunct to her show about a year ago, and it was great. She is very friendly, personable and a great person. Although she and I share a last name, we are not related, although I’m trying to get her to call me “Uncle Patrick.” (Unsuccessfully)

Thanks for the feedback!

Searching for the Sound

Caught her at the Old Town School in Chicago last tour ... an absolute must see musician, and really hot, interesting band !!!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

I had the great pleasure of seeing her and her multi-intrumentalist-extraordinaire husband in Portsmouth, NH a few months back and not only are they very gifted musicians but they are both very genuine and friendly people. What a pleasure that was. Can you imagine all of that talent under one roof? God bless them!
    Eastman MD515 with K&K pickup
    Lakewood acoustic guitar with K&K pickup

Her new album is now out...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Been loving the new record all day! Middle of the Woods is my favorite track so far. You?

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Been loving the new record all day! Middle of the Woods is my favorite track so far. You?
    Hmm.. tie between “Middle of the Woods” and “How Long”... I’m also really liking “Escape”, it’s so moody + ethereal.

There are a bunch of legitimately awesome songs.... can’t say that about too many albums these days
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

When Sierra has come to the SF Bay Area in the past, she has always played at the Freight and Salvage, our folk/bluegrass/world music mecca, in Berkeley --- even last year when she had Eddie Barbash on sax in her band. This time around, she is playing at Yoshi's, a longtime jazz club in Oakland where I've seen Bill Frisell, Dr. John, Jean-Luc Ponty, Pharaoh Sanders, to name a few. Interesting change of venue!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Just got an email from the local venue that all events are cancelled through 5/10, which includes Sierra's show on 4/21. Super, super bummed. I was so looking forward to it.

21. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Just got an email from the local venue that all events are cancelled through 5/10, which includes Sierra's show on 4/21. Super, super bummed. I was so looking forward to it.
    I should clarify that the cancellation was mandated by the venue which is part of the University of CA system. They are moving all classes online and cancelling all public events through early May. Hopefully the rest of the Sierra tour would go on as planned.

"Her husband" actually has a name.

http://www.justinmoses.com/

24. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

People with deep pockets are worried about liability. It is about the standard of negligence. Now that the NBA has canceled games and so many others have canceled public events, others with deep pockets are worried about being sued and losing - let alone that there may actually be a health risk!

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    "Her husband" actually has a name.

http://www.justinmoses.com/
    Amen... and he's a badass musician, I might add! Huge fan.

27. The following members say thank you to mojocaster for this post:

I first saw her in 2007 at Merlefest. She was quite good but pretty straightforward bluegrass.

Then I saw one of the early shows in her tour after she released her Weighted Mind cd about 2016. It was another matter all together. She had her, Justin and Ethan Jodwiecz on bass. Individually all three are remarkable. Together they are beyond all that. She has the potential to be as ground breaking as Grisman. If she continues as she has she belongs in a class with Grisman and Thile. After I saw the first show, when a later show in the tour came near me about 6 weeks later I made sure to see that one as well. Definitely go see her.

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Definitely go see her.
    What Carl said! I saw her twice on the Transatlantic Sessions tour over here in the UK and, although she only got to do three tunes of her own, they were worth the price of admission alone...plus you then get the whole Transatlantic Sessions thrown in free

She's amazing on all levels. Singer, songwriter, instrumentalist, performer - just a joy to watch