Thread: If you think changing strings on a mandolin is a pain...

Default If you think changing strings on a mandolin is a pain...

Went to the symphony hall last night to see some great trio pieces. As the harper (harpist?) was playing, I kept thinking of what a time she must have changing strings. Made me grateful to have only eight!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90C39E56-148D-4FFE-B4C3-C27E0D227F69.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	183767  

2. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Default Re: If you think changing strings on a mandolin is a pain...

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    went to the symphony hall last night to see some great trio pieces. As the harper (harpist?) was playing, i kept thinking of what a time she must have changing strings. Made me grateful to have only eight!
    amen !

You said a mouthful!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Try changing strings on my sitar sometime!!
    A string change on a mandolin takes me about 10 minutes.
    A string change on my sitar takes an evening.

19 strings, and all wooden friction pegs.
    No mechanical tuners.
    The wooden friction pegs have to be cleaned and chalked.
    The sympathetic strings underneath the main strings have to be fed up under the frets, through tiny holes, fished out of the side with a small hook, and then attached to the friction pegs.

Not only that, but the bridge has to be recarved about every six months, and there are only a handful of people in the country who know how to do it.
    All is all, a very difficult instrument to keep maintained, much less play.
    It is a gigantic pain in the rear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitar Strings - 1.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	426.3 KB 
ID:	183768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitar Strings - 3.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	183769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitar Strings - 2.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	183770
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

6. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Do harpists regularly change their strings? At $500 or so for a full set of 47, I doubt if it happens that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Do harpists regularly change their strings? At $500 or so for a full set of 47, I doubt if it happens that often.
    I was thinking the same, but when it does happen it must be a whopper of a job and a bill on top of that. That harp was absolutely beautiful and the sound the young woman got out of it was heavenly. Since it was a trio, my wife and I (and everyone else) got to sit up on the stage where the orchestra normally sits and watch. The trio was down on the lowest level of the stage facing us. The rest of the hall was empty. Absolutely magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Correct. Breakage rarely occurs.

Wire harps are particularly idiosyncratic and difficult to maintain - much moreso than nylon or orchestral guts. Some even use gold and silver wire for stringing. Wire harps have been known to incur "cascade" breakage of several strings at once simply upon change of climate. This happened once on my large 30 string bronze strung when I moved it into a drier environment.

Fortunately, once a harp stabilizes it's very infrequent to experience string breakage with normal playing - I think it's been 4 or 5 years since my last break, when a harp inadvertently fell into a table.

Once changed the strings on an autoharp. Opted out of doing another.

Hammered dulcimer would be a PIA also. Years ago I had a Djangolin, which had a slotted headstock. if you think a regular mandolin is a pain, try one with a slotted headstock. Never again.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Blog Entries

Does anybody ever restring their piano?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

13. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Does anybody ever restring their piano?
    My wife’s piano is from 1898 and is still operational. I’m not sure if we have the original strings or not, but the last time it was tuned the man said it needed new ones. He also said the job would cost about $1200.

Our piano is also from 1898 and has the original strings, and sounds surprisingly good. Some day I’d like to change them, but it’s a big job!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Went to the symphony hall last night to see some great trio pieces. As the harper (harpist?) was playing, I kept thinking of what a time she must have changing strings. Made me grateful to have only eight!
    I don't think you change strings on a harp to often,from what I gathered on this forum over the years: you change strings on fretted instruments (supposedly 20 hours mandolin,40 hours guitar)because the frets deform the strings,on a harp,like a violin,no frets,no deformation,,my violin has strings 10 years old and still sound good,,mandolin I change every other month,,,so would this be correct?

New strings for a typical auto harp costs more than just buying a whole new one..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

How about a pedal steel? Mine has occupied many many hours so far and ... not really in tune

Name:	200_image_5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	183785

Name:	100_0976.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	183786

https://web.archive.org/web/20190216...20160216_4.jpg
    Last edited by gtani7; Feb-20-2020 at 4:36pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I don't think you change strings on a harp to often,from what I gathered on this forum over the years: you change strings on fretted instruments (supposedly 20 hours mandolin,40 hours guitar)because the frets deform the strings,on a harp,like a violin,no frets,no deformation,,my violin has strings 10 years old and still sound good,,mandolin I change every other month,,,so would this be correct?
    The lack of frets is much easier on the strings. Still, I suspect quite a few violin players are cringing at your remark. The symphonic violinists certainly change strings often, and those babies are expensive compared to mandolin strings. On the other hand, most of the fiddlers I admire were working people of an earlier era, who, by and large, had inexpensive instruments and didn't change strings often, so there is an argument for not getting too involved with expensive equipment if you want to emulate an old folk fiddle sound. Personally, I often don't notice when my fiddle strings are getting dull but I do notice the change after I put new ones on (about once a year). Changing them is much easier than changing mandolin strings -- never any bloodshed. I sometimes buy inexpensive "fiddle" strings, but then I'm afraid to take my fiddle to my Hungarian luthier, who's sure to give me a proper scolding!
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

20. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

I have a Zimmermann 5-bar Autoharp from C F Zimmermann's original Philadelphia shop (i can tell because the bars have red felt on them). It's a Model 2 3/4, manufactured about 1885, and it has its original bass and lower-octave strings, as far as I can tell. I've replaced a few treble strings that broke during playing, but since the short wound strings -- where the wound portion only extends over the body of the instrument, and the unwound core goes over the upper and lower bridges -- aren't made any more, I'm sticking with the old strings, even though they're 135 years old now.

Maybelle Carter said she restrung her entire Autoharp only once, and "would never do it again." She replaced broken strings, but that was it.

By the way, info about my, and other, Autoharps is courtesy of Becky Blackley's excellent The Autoharp Book, published 1983 and still the best source I've found.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Hammered dulcimer would be a PIA also. Years ago I had a Djangolin, which had a slotted headstock. if you think a regular mandolin is a pain, try one with a slotted headstock. Never again.
    I built a hammered dulcimer several years ago. Never again. I don't play it a lot and, fortunately, the strings are still in pretty good shape. Tuning a hammered dulcimer is perhaps a more daunting task than changing the strings. For those that don't know, the same string plays a different note on either side of the bridge (mine has 2 bridges) and it sometimes involves moving the bridge and loosening or tightening the string. And, there are a million strings, plus or minus a few.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

I wonder how much a set of strings for these beasts costs

Name:	E059DAB6-E350-492F-AAD4-DF2A2CF6C8ED.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	183792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3065104-B45E-449D-A8C4-2A3E86A7F4AD.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	183793
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

Non-custom strings for a standard 3/4 or 4/4 double bass typically cost between $50 and $750 depending on quality and material of the strings.

The larger "Octobass" instruments shown above are non-standard (and very rare) oversized double basses and require custom strings, probably costing a few thousand dollars to string.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I've never considered what a pain string changes can be for some instruments. Wow!