Thread: Kinda non-mando: volume pot taper issues

Default Kinda non-mando: volume pot taper issues

I have a newer Duo Sonic where the volume pot was basically silent for 7/8ths of its radius, then honked up super loud in the last little bit. I figured I just happened to get a faulty pot or one spec'd for something else, so I put a new pot in and... same problem. A local repair guy suggested I install a 'treble bleed', but that seems to be a little more of a subtle tone quality fix. Is this because of how the circuit is designed or something?

Default Re: Kinda non-mando: volume pot taper issues

You have a linear pot, you need an audio pot. Simple fix, correct pot.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You have a linear pot, you need an audio pot. Simple fix, correct pot.
    Hmm, that behavior sounds like normal audio taper and the OP is not used to it. I had an axe with linear-taper for the volume and it had the largest noticeable change at the bottom.

Audio taper should show a letter "A" on the back of the pot. My understanding is that audio response of our ears and brain notices relative, not absolute change. So the change from no sound to some is large, therefore audio taper eases in with logarithmic change. And when you are turned up pretty loud, near the top, the next bit of turn still needs to be a large change. I find in performance this is important, because I only need to tweak the knob a tiny bit for a substantial change in balance with other instruments.

I prefer audio taper on both volume and tone.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Hmm, that behavior sounds like normal audio taper and the OP is not used to it. I had an axe with linear-taper for the volume and it had the largest noticeable change at the bottom.

Audio taper should show a letter "A" on the back of the pot. My understanding is that audio response of our ears and brain notices relative, not absolute change. So the change from no sound to some is large, therefore audio taper eases in with logarithmic change. And when you are turned up pretty loud, near the top, the next bit of turn still needs to be a large change. I find in performance this is important, because I only need to tweak the knob a tiny bit for a substantial change in balance with other instruments.

Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post

So are you saying that I've already got a normal audio taper knob and I'm just not used to it? I'm not saying that's impossible, but this is the only guitar I've noticed this problem on. I can see how having a very short usable arc would be maybe good for doing, like, Jimmy Page volume swells, but this is so short it's almost more like a killswitch.

I ordered my replacement knob as a standard volume pot from Stew Mac- would they have sent me a linear pot? I guess stranger things have happened.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring Diagram crop.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	183756

Here's one wiring diagram. I wonder if the shorting to ground is not working, maybe on the tone control? Or shorting too early, skipping the capacitor?
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

It sounds to me like you have a linear pot and NOT an audio taper pot. The issue you describe is typical of a linear pot.

Remember the log taper on a pot is directional. Maybe the ground and output terminals are reversed. Check with ohmmeter if you have one.