Thread: Ebay: maple top mandolin

Default Ebay: maple top mandolin

Something you don't see everyday, that may be a good thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Frederick-E...gAAOSwTzBeTAVd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maple top mandolin.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	183735  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Default Re: Ebay: maple top mandolin

Shouldn’t this really be in the “worst scroll” thread?

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I love how it has a scroll with a strap pin in it

5. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

Spruce is the most common/popular wood for mandolin tops, correct ?
    Is there another species of wood which is frequently used for solid mandolin tops? I think I've read about redwood sometimes being used, but not sure.

Quite a number of mandos have been made with cedar tops. I'm not sure how how that affects the sound. In the 1930s, Martin made some mandolins completely from Hawaiian koa wood, which often was used for ukuleles. To my ear, the sound is muted and does not project.

Cedar, redwood, spruce, fir, basically any good piece of a conifer (softwood), properly oriented and seasoned, will make a good mandolin top. Hardwoods in general don't make good carved-top mandolins. And slab-cut curly maple is a particularly.... adventurous choice.

Weber's got that new Koa octave mandolin. First of all, that's an octave mandolin - bigger plate, longer scale length, which opens up some possibilities. Koa has been used on ukulele and guitar tops plenty of times, so it's an outlier, like certain lightweight mahoganies. And it's an octave mandolin, so nobody has a specific octave mandolin tone that they're comparing it to, like we do with F-style mandolins. David Harvey made a koa-topped F-5 at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post

Weber's got that new Koa octave mandolin. First of all, that's an octave mandolin - bigger plate, longer scale length, which opens up some possibilities. Koa has been used on ukulele and guitar tops plenty of times, so it's an outlier, like certain lightweight mahoganies. And it's an octave mandolin, so nobody has a specific octave mandolin tone that they're comparing it to, like we do with F-style mandolins. David Harvey made a koa-topped F-5 at one point.
    Martin's old AK style mandolin had a koa top as well, in addition to the KOA back/sides.
    I have never found a tone comparison of the Martin spruce top vs. the koa top model. I used to own their conventional spruce top A style mandolin, and it was a delightful instrument.

I have a mandolin with an all mahogany body and it sounds really good. I don't know the maker but my best guess is that it was made in the late 1930s by the successors to Oscar Schmidt as some of its construction is similar to my Sovereign mandolin. Harmony made some all mahogany mandolins but it is not a Harmony instrument- nor Regal or Kay.

looks like a square neck

For the usual hysterical porpoises—a quote from the seller:

Frederick Edwin West (1933- ) is a now-retired Ohio-based luthier who built guitars, mandolins, mandolas, and cellos from about 1985 to 2012. Born in Vandalia, Illinois, West worked as an industrial equipment salesman by day. At age 52, he began building musical instruments for his grandchildren. His speciality was thinline Telecaster electric guitar copies. After he retired as a luthier, I bought the contents of his shop.

This is one of his mandolins. Striped tiger maple top and back. Abalone floral inlay on the fretboard. Ebony fretboard. Truss rod. F-style. 14" scale length. No case. 12th fret action is about 3/32".

This one has never really been played much, so is in like-new condition. Frets and fretboard in great condition. I know West is completely unknown. He made instruments only for himself and his family. But they are quality instruments.

It's a good sounding mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    looks like a square neck
    To be fair to the seller, it does but it’s really a shadow.

I have bought from Chris Till, the seller and he's a good guy. His eBay rating is 100%. Obviously, buying this mandolin from an unknown maker would be a gamble but that's true of many eBay purchases. If the mandolin fails to live up to its description etc it can be returned or a discount negotiated.

I am curious about it, if it was closer it would be worth a road trip to see it, but it's about 4 1/2 hours away. Too bad - it could be interesting.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I think its interesting too, but I doubt the top would produce the sound I'm looking for, and I don't like the look of figured maple for the top. The top and back plates are probably too thick for my taste as well (judging from the joints I see) depending how they were carved. I think there's a reason maple is not 1st choice for top plates these days, and I also think figured maple makes it a worse choice.

Name:  plate_thickness.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  308.4 KB
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

BTW as an aside, I think Mr. West may have been channeling the same muse that inspires Bruce Wei and Antonio Tsai, pitting the maple curl against that fretboard inlay on this particular instrument. No disrespect intended. The strap button fits right in.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Same seller has an unfinished baritone guitar also with a maple top. I almost thought it might be a good candidate for a mandocello or octave but the scale length is over 30 inches and the price is no real bargain. It does look more like a mandolin than a guitar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baritoneguitar.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	183857
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1