Thread: New Eastwood/Airline tenor coming

Default New Eastwood/Airline tenor coming

The latest tenor from the Eastwood custom shop is up here. Airline "Jetsons Tenor", modeled after their Jetsons Jr 6-string. The picture shows one pickup in the bridge position but the description says dual humbuckers. Anyone interested should probably get clarification - also whether it's really a 1-1/8" nut (their speculative specs are often off). Might as well nail down the 10th fret dot while you're at it!

$499 is at the low end of their tenor offerings (which suggests it is indeed a 1-pup model).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JetsonTenor.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	183734

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seonachan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Eastwood/Airline tenor coming

Thanks for the post Seonachan - I wish Eastwood huge success with this release. More tenor guitars to chose from!

I would really like Eastwoods more if they used four string pups, bridges/saddles and, in this case, tailpieces. In my eyes - Eastwood's use of six string hardware really makes the guitars look second class.

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Astrojet. The body is a nice size (slightly smaller than a standard SG) as is the headstock. The Fender Tenor Tele's body and headstock are much smaller. I'd dare say the Fender headstock is tiny. I like the appearance of my bigger bodied tenor guitars (Aria, Astrojet, AVT1) more so that the smaller ones (PFT2, Tenor Teles).

I know I can't always get what I want - but I can hope that someday Eastwood finds a source for high quality tenor (4-string) hardware and uses it.

Cheers,
    Huck

That is one ugly contraption, but of course it's just my opinion...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojocaster For This Useful Post:

Nice.
    I keep looking for a reason to get a tenor and Eastwood has some good ones.
    My Airline mandola is a thing of beauty and it needs a friend.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I am with mojocaster ... that is one ugly mother!

Looks like somethi g Devo might have wanted in a tenor.
    Just for an FYI, the Eastwood P90 tenor usex the 6 string bridge and pickups because that is what the Gibson tenor did.
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

Eastwood just used 6 string hardware in all of their tenors.

While I did find Eastman's use of 6-string hardware on their tenors a bit off-putting at first, there are advantages. 6-string bits - like pickups and machines - makes upgrading much simpler; Eastman's parts don't tend to be top-shelf stuff and there isn't much by way of tenor pickups about so I've come to view it as a plus.

Other parts, like tailpieces, that don't need to be upgraded should be custom made for their tenors just like Gibson, Harmony and Kay used to do.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    While I did find Eastman's use of 6-string hardware on their tenors a bit off-putting at first, there are advantages. 6-string bits - like pickups and machines - makes upgrading much simpler; Eastman's parts don't tend to be top-shelf stuff and there isn't much by way of tenor pickups about so I've come to view it as a plus.

Other parts, like tailpieces, that don't need to be upgraded should be custom made for their tenors just like Gibson, Harmony and Kay used to do.
    Yes, I find the six string hardware looks kind of clunky.
    Not sure what you mean by machines. ..? and I don't see why a tenor pickup couldn't be replaced by a six string pickup if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Yes, I find the six string hardware looks kind of clunky.
    Not sure what you mean by machines. ..? and I don't see why a tenor pickup couldn't be replaced by a six string pickup if you wanted to.
    Tuners are technically tuning machines (Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album is a ref to the "tuners" on the bass headstock on the album cover).

Gibson did make their tenor pups as 4 pole in a standard humbucker package, so I see what you're saying.

All it would take is to make some metal pickup covers with only 4 pole-piece holes and not add screws to the 2 outside pole pieces. Could do it with a normal humbucker so it wouldn't take much. A bit of custom work.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Tuners are technically tuning machines (Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album is a ref to the "tuners" on the bass headstock on the album cover).
    That's what I would have taken 'machines' to mean, but I don't get how upgrading is made simpler. Simpler that what? The only thing I can think of (aside from what they're on) that makes a set 'tenor machines' is if they're two on a strip.
    A six pack of your fav or a case of 24, it's all beer.

The Eastwood Airline MAP Tenor with dual humbucker pickups is listed on the Eastwood site for $599.00 ( https://eastwoodguitars.com/collecti...line-map-tenor ). The Custom Shop tenor for $499.00 must be a single humbucker pickup model.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

That's what I would have taken 'machines' to mean, but I don't get how upgrading is made simpler. Simpler that what? The only thing I can think of (aside from what they're on) that makes a set 'tenor machines' is if they're two on a strip.
    A six pack of your fav or a case of 24, it's all beer.
    Sure - my point was that by using off-the-shelf parts it is easier to upgrade the instrument. Whether you consider the machines worthy of consideration is up to you.

- ---==< V >==--- -

I can't think of any "tenor" hardware that could not be replaced using off the shelf "six string" parts (except strip tuners).

I can't think of any "tenor" hardware that could not be replaced using off the shelf "six string" parts (except strip tuners).
    Actually, the Fender Tenor Tele pups and bridge are 4 pole specific. You would need to use a router on the body and modify the pickguard to drop in a six string replacement.

I like the four pole look better. I stated previously that that 6 pole hardware on Eastwood tenors looks second class to me.

It's not wrong it's just different and Gibson did what Gibson did. Remember Gibson also put some tenor necks on full size Gibson bodies.

I'm glad to see that Fender used the correct hardware on the Tenor Tele.

My earlier point was I wish Eastwood would do the same.

18. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

fox 

Eastwood just used 6 string hardware in all of their tenors.
    Not with the Tenorcaster. Also I believe the Warren Ellis tenor series all use four string bass bridges. (Hence the wider spacing.)

Verne, I understand your point about the ease of replacing hardware on the Eastwoods with better quality components and more availability . Just not a fan of the six pole look.

I agree the use of six string tailpieces is inexcusable.

I still think this new offering is neat, and I wish Eastwood the best of luck and continued success with the sale of it.

It reached its funding goal.

A lot of discussion in the comments regarding single vs. dual humbuckers.

Eastwood's Michael Robinson wrote: "The spec is for a single Humbucker, but we are open to making it a dual, which would you prefer.(?)"

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Only a bridge humbucker if it stays that way? I'm a neck or near neck pickup kinda guy