Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chips

Default Re: Blue Chips

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    You either make rules for yourself and follow them, or you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It really is no simpler than this.
    This makes no sense to me at all. Everybody fails at some point, that is the defining characteristic of being human.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    This makes no sense to me at all. Everybody fails at some point, that is the defining characteristic of being human.
    You want to be 'human'? Look around.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

3. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

I looked on Amazon for keychain pick pouches. There were a lot but the one that I bought offered either a 2 pack for $5.99....or a 4 pack for $5.99. Hard decision which one to get.
    I pick every day but I go out to pick only occasionally so having this thing on my FOB all the time doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe I can remember yo put it on the FOB when needed. Maybe.
    To quote Jackson Browne, "Don'''t confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them."

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .… I have few surviving bad habits. And those are the hard on me but cheap on my wallet ones. Currently peanut butter and crackers are leading the pack. So spending in dollars what I used to spend in cents on a pick is no surprise. Sooooo ... I have the BC's I keep in the strings and the extras I keep in a pouch in the case, just in case, then the cheapies I keep in the case if somebody needs a pick. I think this pick thing has a generational amalgam anyway. When picks were three for a quarter , the phone was on the kitchen wall and switches were on and off not something that brought up another menu losing a pick was nothing to worry about. I have now lived long enough to have replaced my music room rug because it was the same color as a BC pick..go figure.… life is strange but ever entertaining. Play on friends! R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Back when buying picks was a good excuse to go to the music store.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I'm in agreement with those that weave their Blue Chip in the strings on the neck. I own 2 BC's. One CT55 and 1 TAD 60. One I preferred for my SA and the other on my Jacobson. Even though I now prefer a different pick on the Jacobson, still the specific pick I use on these instruments lives woven into the strings of that particular mando. I ALSO have a keychain pouch from The Mandolin Store in which I keep a the TAD 60, a Wegen, and 2mm Dunlop in case I am ever in a shop and want to pick something.

I too am human and loose things... Most frequently, I have a habit of sitting on the couch playing late at night leading to my eventually leaning back and dozing off, mando-in-lap and pick-in-hand. I always am startled awake when I drop the pick and hear it "CLACK" in the top and fall or bounce into the unknown abyss. On more than one occasion, I have been on hands and knees looking amongst the rug fibers, pulling the sofa cushions apart or shaking the pick out of the inside of an F-hole. ... But I haven't lost any for good,... yet.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

It's either here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218_154302.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	183737 or its here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200217_211453.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	183738 which is a habit of mine that predates BlueChips by decades
    Last edited by Benski; Feb-18-2020 at 5:01pm. Reason: can't get that second pic to stand up straight!
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benski For This Useful Post:

With flat top guitars or oval hole mandolins, I always seemed to keep a spare inside the body of the instrument!

12. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

How do you rotate pics on here? Inquiring minds want to know....
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Of course, but that doesn't explain how we are able to keep track of car keys, wedding rings, thumb drives, and other things expensive, hard to replace, and whose loss is consequential, and we hardly ever lose them, and when we do we blame ourselves, ... but keeping track of a pick, the thing that makes the sound on the mandolins we dearly love, and we are almost proud of how often we misplace them, and somehow want to depend on picks to be cheap and easily replaced.

We all fail and we all screw up, but we try and minimize it and the effort we exert to avoid a screw up is linked to how important we perceive the item is.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Of course, but that doesn't explain how we are able to keep track of car keys, wedding rings, thumb drives, and other things expensive, hard to replace, and whose loss is consequential, and we hardly ever lose them, and when we do we blame ourselves, ... but keeping track of a pick, the thing that makes the sound on the mandolins we dearly love, and we are almost proud of how often we misplace them, and somehow want to depend on picks to be cheap and easily replaced.

We all fail and we all screw up, but we try and minimize it and the effort we exert to avoid a screw up is linked to how important we perceive the item is.
    The point is that the effort we make to avoid a screw up is not related to the outcome, in many cases it’s inversely proportional, and everyone knows this.

Have misplaced a BC, but found it after almost a year. Will often thread it through the strings, but it can and will pop out going into or coming out of a case. Still, it's the easiest method. Do have a pick holder on my keychain and 2 pick trays at home. So it's easier to keep track of them.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Is this a discussion about picks and losing them or a debate on the existential fallibility of mankind?

Wait let me come back to this later, I lost my pick....
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

No, it's just about the fallibility of me.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

This thread had quite some funny moments.

Pick pouches (on a key chain) disintegrated on me. Therefore no more of that.

I keep a spare in my wallet (I am a no loose change jangling in my pockets kind of guy). This approach does not help with compromising material like Red Bear, Hense etc., namely casein picks.

I keep a pick wedged between the strings of the respective instrument. But I think this may also have its problems.

If you let others play your instruments, they may just pull the disappearing trick. I had quite some people pocket my material that I then had to get back from them (picks, capos etc.). If this is the "I never took anything" kind of person you either have to give them the "godfather-eye" or you have to write off whatever you let them take. I even caused someone this kind of problem (in a different way). I tried out an instrument. But instead of using the pick that was between the strings I put that one on the table beside me and used my own pick. I left the pick on the table and put my pick beween the strings when I gave back the instrument. Fortunately for both of us we noticed so bot of us were able to get our picks back.

There´s no simple solution for this.
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    No, it's just about the fallibility of me.
    I keep my BCs in the strings of the instruments, unless I’m letting someone try out an instrument. If I know them well I’ll offer the good pick, if not, they get a cheapie from the case. I keep a BC TAD 40 (guitar) and a Wegen TF 140 (mando) in a key ring pouch on my fob, in case I see something out I want to try. I’ve had my current leather ones for > 6 years and both are in good shape. After a while I got used to the pouches, kind of like old school key chains...

Yes, if BC ever comes out with something neon I’ll be on board. Their brown seems to camo with everything, lol...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Brilliant! A BlueChip with a chip and an iPhone app for tracking. Patent it before somebody beats you to it. You can retire to Florida in no time.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Blog Entries

I had a happy experience yesterday. My wife wanted me to straighten up the (cough cough) four mandolin and two guitar cases sitting on or around the dining room table. I decided to organize things and clean out the little cargo areas in the cases. In the process I discovered two little bags of grommets from the hardware store, and I FOUND a third CT Blue Chip I didn't even know I had. I didn't lose a Blue Chip -- I found one! And I cleaned up the dining room to boot. Not a bad day.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

When I first met my Chilean wife-to-be (at an Irish session she was running in Santiago), I showed her the Blue Chip pick I was using, and told her about it. "Why ees Blue Cheep?? Ees not blue, ees not cheap!"
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200219_093922.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	183759 I bought this pick pouch from the pick store a few years ago and it works for me,,they always go back in the pouch when im done.and I always know where they are,,haven't misplaced one yet..

I keep mine in the dryer. That's where they end up anyway

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EvanElk For This Useful Post:

Some funny stories here. I think most of us have been down on hands and knees searching for a pick. I have not lost my BC after 6 years but it certainly has jumped out of my fingers and made a run for it. I've tested every pick I could find and in my opinion the closest I've found to a BC is the Primetone, at a fraction of the cost. But like others here I keep my BC woven into the strings close to the nut where it's a tight fit and never have to look for it.

It did take me better part of a year to be convinced the BC was a superior pick. Maybe we just all drink the same kool-aid, but I sure don't want to lose it!

Blog Entries

In my living room, where I hold a monthly jam, I have a pseudo-asian rug with a complicated multi-color design. I keep a jar for all the picks I find.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    So since the 2019 Winfield festival I've bought $105 worth of blue chip picks. 3 of them. Now 2 of them are lost, either in someone else's pocket who was at Midwinter or somewhere in the grass in Winfield.
    I admire those who have special pick pouch where they safely keep their cherished picks or those who return them to the strings of their instrument. When I went to Bluechips I swore that was what I would do but I just couldn't break the life long habit of carrying them in my jeans pocket, where they were in danger every time I reached for keys or change or more recently the phone.
    So it looks to me like I'll be returning to 35 cent picks instead of $35 ones.
    You will never lose .35 cent picks ! Only $35. ones !

Blog Entries

I don't why you only lose expensive sunglasses.

You pay a lot of money for a pair of sunglasses, those things will disappear quicker than a pizza at a Weight Watchers convention.

And you buy a pair of cheapos, you cannot get rid of them. I am convinced, you could be on a cruise in the middle of the ocean wearing a pair of cheapos, and if you looked over the side of the boat and they fell into the water, a SCUBA diver would pop up going "someone lose a pair of glasses up there?
    Found a pair of cheapos floating to the bottom!"

Jeff Foxworthy

The entire staff
    funny....