Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How thick of a pick?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: How thick of a pick?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    She seems to be recommending something very similar to what most bluegrassers use. She shows Mike Marshall's 1.5mm D'Andrea Pro Plec, Caterina uses a 2mm Wolle, and she has a thin pick only to demonstrate how bad it sounds.
    Well...

The Wolle pick example shows that classical performers prefer a thick though quite flexible pick. Us bluegrass folks like stiff picks. I doubt that any of us would like to use a Wolle pick for bluegrass.

My "holy" pick is a "material that must not be named" pick that is quite thin (about 1 mm) that is very (!) stiff. I have had it since Christ was a cowboy. It makes all my instruments sing like angels. (Because I only have this one "holy" pick, I only use it on recordings or very important gigs.)

There is a video by Catarina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshal where they compare their mandolins ("taterbug" against Lloyd Loar F-5). This makes it fairly obvious why CL uses a pick that darkens the sound of her mandolin.

All of this goes to show that maybe there is no one pick fits all. (I seem to recall a Jody Secher statement that he likes to swap picks depending what tune he plays on his Stan Miller A-5 and that he has an open pick box atached to his mic stand to be able to chose a pick to pick the appropriate tune with. I definately donīt go that far: "I use a variety of picks so I'll be prepared for different sonic situations. It depends on the mic and if I'm on stage or in the studio. In the studio I tend to go lighter, though still pretty heavy. For recording I use whatever makes the least noise on impact. I don't use real pointy picks though a rounded point is ok. Paul Hostetter has made me some great picks from new and old celluloid. One looks like a blue ceramic coffee pot. His wife Robin dubbed another "designer bacon" (the striped pattern suggests that), another looks like a fossilized butterfly." quoted from: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...s_001242.shtml)
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    The Wolle pick example shows that classical performers prefer a thick though quite flexible pick. Us bluegrass folks like stiff picks. I doubt that any of us would like to use a Wolle pick for bluegrass.
    That's the German classical tradition which varies at some points with the Italian tradition.

In my case, I use a sharp pointed pick around .73mm - but it is a very stiff Ultex and works very well for the bright clear typical italian tone I want.

German classical players want a somewhat darker sound, and also typically use less tremolo than the Italian school. Hence those Wolle picks - which I've tried and did NOT like at all.

My real "point" so to speak is about the stiffness of a pick.

I have some vintage picks of a certain material as a reference. They are not thick, but quite stiff and that's where the strength of tone comes from, plus with a sharp point you get less of tone of string having a pick being glided over than and more of the effect of a harpsichord-like pluck - which I like and is likely not what the Bluegrass-oriented player wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    . . . and a hair lighter pick so now my main one is a TP50.
    If this makes any sense, I find that not only pick thickness but the "swing weight" of a pick affects my playing. I use the analogy of a bamboo fly rod vs a graphite fly rod. When you are casting a bamboo rod, which is heavier by fractions of an ounce, or in some case even more, all day fishing it makes a difference. Towards the end of a day of casting bamboo I'm getting tired and sloppier. Subtle but it happens. I find when using a thicker pick thousands of times an hour or more my playing gets sloppy and less accurate. Again, for me, subtle but it happens. So I am trying to find the right combination of thickness, flex, point shape, tone producing,and weight that seems to work the best in my case. Also, as I think has been mentioned a few times above, the "mood" if you will of my mandolin itself can determine which pick I use from day to day. I usually keep a different pick tucked in the strings on the headstock. Different from the one in hand that I'm using at any given time.

4. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I play more 'grass than anything. Though I do lean in Jethro's direction a bit. Whether mandolin or guitar I use a pick close to 1.5 mm ….. BC's TAD 55's or 60's or a Wegan 1.5... I have used Red Bear picks and find them excellent tonally but I always wind up destroying them either accidently or just playing hard. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I think a thicker pick can be driven harder into the strings, but then I also think it needs to be driven harder. dorenac I think that is what makes you tired playing a thicker pick. For me I don't like the tone of a thicker pick. The low notes are muddy.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    \. dorenac I think that is what makes you tired playing a thicker pick. For me I don't like the tone of a thicker pick. The low notes are muddy.
    pops1, I never thought of it that way but you may be right. I've been playing with my "illegal" picks which are thinner than my usual BC pick. And the bass notes seem to be clearer. New strings helps , too. Normally I play a CT55 or TAD60, but I have a TAD50 in the mail coming soon, mostly to experiment with both note clarity and "swing weight". I'm also spec a round bevel which warms the tone a bit, too. I've never found a beveled pick made much difference for my mediocre skills. So I settle for tone.

I started with BC 60 then 50 then 45 then 35, now I use a Wegen TF100, but I have a couple that I have slimmed down and prefer the sound of the thinner pick. I have found some picks of other materials that sound fine, but seem to drag across the strings more. BC glide will ruin you for lesser picks.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!