Thread: Tuner Visibility Shootout at High Noon

Default Tuner Visibility Shootout at High Noon

After the recent thread about what tuners are most readable in full sun I went out and bought a Peterson Strobe. It cost $60. from an online music dealer with a good reputation whose name might rhyme with "Sweetwater". When it got here I realized now had 4 different brands of tuners in the house. I could probably answer my own question.
    So today at high noon, about 7 miles north of the Mexican border, I got them out to test them for glare. The tuners tested were:
    Tune Tech 501 which looks just like this one https://www.zozomusic.com/intelli-im...l-instruments/
    Snark -Black
    D 'Addario Mini - Formerly Plant Wave
    Peterson Strobe HD

I tested in full sun first with a new battery, using both regular glasses, then dark sun glasses. Followed that up with a used battery to see if results were different.
    Results were pretty clear. I am not trying to turn this into a novel so I will just summarize. Overall easiest to read in all conditions was the Peterson followed up by the Tune Tech. Hardest to see over all was the D 'Addario. The Snark was OK with the new battery but hard to read with a used one.
    Please remember the test was only for readability not accuracy. For those that think clip on tuners are evil, I am sure a tuning fork would be very visible. They just don't work for me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimKo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tuner Visibility Shootout at High Noon

Forgot to mention that I didn't have the Unitune to compare with. That got some good recommendations on the original thread. For those who live where glare from the sun is a rarity, sorry.

Mine does well in bright light, but not so well with polarized sunglasses. I’m wondering if the new color-screen version would be better?
    2000 Flatiron

Just got introduced to the "Pano Tuner App" it is the only tuner I have found that reads the E string on my banjo mandolin. I will stick to the Unitunes for my mandolins though. They work well for me.