Thread: 1920's Gibson Tenor Banjo info

Default 1920's Gibson Tenor Banjo info

Hey guys.

I recently acquired an early Gibson tenor banjo that I am bringing back to life and hope someone can help with a few questions.

1st question is what exact year do you think this is? Stamped serial number is 11213A-22.

2nd question - I can see it has the four holes in the back for where there was at one point the trap-door resonator. Is it possible to find these anywhere? I would eventually like to add this piece to it but think it might be like trying to find the Holy Grail.

3rd question - There are about 4 hook and nut pieces that don't match the others. Where do you recommend buying some other than Amazon? I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible. Or should I just buy a whole new set? They appear to be 3.54 mm thick and 2 3/8 long.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8517.JPG 
Views:	522 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	183711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8516.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	183710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8515.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	183709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8494.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	183708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8514.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	183707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8513.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	183706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8512.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	183705

Default Re: 1920's Gibson Tenor Banjo info

The trapdoor is mounted with only three holes, and had a ball bearing tone ring. The three holes are all on one side of the lower part of the pot. If the four holes are spaced around evenly it may have had a different backplate. This may have been before the trapdoor, but I don't remember when they came out with the ball bearing tone ring.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, luthier

1. According to Spann's Guide to Gibson, your banjo was made in early 1925.

2. Gibson experimented with resonators during this period, and used at least 2 types-- the trap door and the "pyralin" resonator [which was a disc]. Some of these old banjos also had after-market resonators installed. There were several brands that were easily available. My guess is that your banjo had something other than a trap door installed.

I am looking at a slightly earlier trap door Gibson. The trap door is attached to the rim with only one screw, located at about 7 o'clock when viewed from the back. In addition, the resonator is secured to the coordinator rod with a hook shaped bolt and a nut. This one has no tone ring at all, but it has a hollow rim with spacers, sometimes called a Kraske rim.

A trap door would not operate if it was secured to the rim with 4 screws-- only about 1/3 of the resonator is secured to the rim. The remaining 2/3 must be left unsecured so the trap door will open.

Finding an original trap door resonator for your banjo would be very difficult indeed. A replica could easily be made, if one can find a suitable spring hinge. Or a disc type resonator of another type could be installed.

3. Original hooks and nuts may be available from time to time from Smakula Fretted Instruments, Bedford Banjo Shop, or Bernunzio Uptown Music; or the banjohangout classifieds. Good quality modern hooks should be available from a variety of sources, including, but not limited to Elderly Instruments; or any store that carries a large stock of banjos.

News flash: Bedford Banjo Shop is going out of business and will be closing down on March 14.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Thanks for the great info. I screwed up on my information. There are only 3 holes on the back, not four. 1 slightly above the rod going through the banjo and 2 below. sorry for the bad info. I hadn't had my coffee yet :/ I added a pic of the back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8518.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	183714  

Teacher, luthier

A trap door could indeed have been installed with 3 screws in those places.

A replica can be made with the following materials:
    An 11" x 14" mahogany board, 3/16" thick
    1 piece of ivoroid binding, 48" long by 1/4" high
    Alcohol soluble brown aniline dye
    Sufficient spirit varnish for the finish
    A spring hinge, approximately 10" long
    A piece of stiff sheet metal stock, 1/2" wide by 6" long to make a latching bracket, plus a bolt and a knob.

The spring hinge is the only thing that might be difficult to find.

I would attach photos, but I don't have a camera. Someone on banjohangout could provide pictures.

The style hook that you are looking for is called a flat hook. They were used on very early Gibsons, and on banjos made by Slingerland and Rettberg & Lange. The nuts are the standard Gibson shape. Replicas are available from Stew-mac, among others.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I have had a couple of trapdoor banjos, both have been secured with 3 screws. I have one now and it has the three screws. I would find it hard to believe one screw would hold it on.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, luthier

On mine, there is one screw through the resonator disc near the perimeter; plus a hook that wraps around the coordinator rod, comes through the resonator near the hinge, and is secured on the outside with a nut and washer. A two-point system. It "shouldn't" work, but it does.

I've seen quite a bit of variation in the details of these early Gibson banjos. I think they were trying to figure out the best way to build them while they were already in production. The early flat top guitars are the same way-- they kept on messing around with bracing patterns and bridge designs.

The resonator on mine is stained so dark that I can't tell for sure what kind of wood it is. I am now thinking it is birch or plain maple rather than mahogany. I now suggest that if Mike has a resonator built that it would be better to make it out of birch or maple. The 3 screw mounting system that Pops describes would be easier to put together. It should be pretty easy to build one. It could be completely built with hand tools, although a jig saw or bandsaw and a belt sander would come in handy. The latching bracket would take a little time to make, but it's do-able.

yeap, early 1925 TB-3. It had the full floating ball bearing tone tube and a trap door. The list price in 1925 was $115.

I believe in 1925 they changed the peghead shape, too, so that would identify yours as an early 1925 model.(I have a C-scale frankenbanjo with a neck that strarted life as a 1926 TB-1.)

Reverb has a few sold listings where you could get some good visuals of the trapdoor if you wanted to fabricate a new one. Here's one: https://reverb.com/item/13050105-192...or-tenor-banjo

I appreciate all the great advice and tips!

Blog Entries

Guys, I see no evidence in the pic of the top of that rim that it ever had ballbearings. Without pics that clearly show holes for the ballbearings, washers and springs, I suspect it just had the tone tube in place, as was the case with most of these thin rimmed banjos. Serial numbers (or FONs) and catalog model descriptions were very in-exact with these early Gibson banjos, so I also have doubts that this was a TB-3, more likely a TB-2 or TB-1. It did definitely have a trap-door and it probably was also fitted with an ivoroid pickguard and a wire armrest.
    -- Don

"It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug
    (plus a large assortment of banjos, dobros, guitars, basses and other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [7/29/2019 -- New Arrival!!!]

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1923 Gibson Banjo catalog ball bearing pages.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	543.2 KB 
ID:	183966
    -- Don

"It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug
    (plus a large assortment of banjos, dobros, guitars, basses and other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [7/29/2019 -- New Arrival!!!]