Thread: SystemThree Epoxy Grain Fill

Default SystemThree Epoxy Grain Fill

Hey there,

Just about ready to do a grain fill and it looks like my local Woodcraft carries System Three.

Can anyone recommend the specific model/type they used with good results that have experience with this brand? I plan on dying the epoxy black if that helps any.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: SystemThree Epoxy Grain Fill

I've grain-filled guitars of rosewood and mahogany using System-3 epoxy... just 'regular' S-3. I didn't know they had different model/types, so if there is an 'original formula' or some such, that would be what I used. It was very successful and pretty easy.
    You probably know this, but if you are adding dye (or anything) to epoxy, mix the epoxy thoroughly before adding the color.

A lot of builders use the System 3 Silvertip with the fast hardener. Jay Lichty has an excellent video describing his process. If you're dying it black I would definitely go through the entire process on scrap to make sure you get the desired results.

Thanks guys!

LMII has these two below for grain filling so I wasn't sure. I imagine as long as a get a thinner viscosity and long cure/working time I should be fine right?

https://www.lmii.com/pore-fillers/30...-pint-kit.html
    https://www.lmii.com/pore-fillers/30...-pint-kit.html

I wasn't aware of the marketing that has happened since I bought System three epoxy. I didn't know they were targeting luthiers (and others) with products with implied specialty applications. (I just did a search and found out.)
    I simply bought epoxy from a boat building supply or wood working supply (not sure which anymore) and it worked fine as a grain filler.