Thread: Pick up removal

Default Pick up removal

Morning folks. I have a new to me Collings MT-2. To my eyes and ears it’s perfect in every way. The previous owner installed a pickup with an end pin jack. It’s done very well however I only play acoustic and never plug in. I could just leave it as is and keep digging no looking back, however I want it gone. What is the proper way to remove everything? Thanks much. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Default Re: Pick up removal

While the pickup can be removed, it can also be damaged. You don't say what the pickup is. The endpin jack is larger and I think helps keep the strap on more that a regular button. If you remove it you will have to plug and redrill for an endpin. I would leave it there should you want to sell it later on it would be a plus for some, me included.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Stew Mac makes a endpin to replace where the end jack goes, called the NoJak. I just removed a jack from an acoustic and used it and it works well, and using the ebony endpin looks close to factory. But as was suggested, I would just leave it there.
    Pava Player A5
    2003 Martin UMGF #24 00-18VS

Other questions, Lane: Besides the type of pickup, is the jack mounted through the tailpiece, where the original endpin had been? If so the hole in the tailpiece has been enlarged (along with the hole in the endblock, of course). You'll have to decide if that bothers you or not.
    If the pickups are K&K discs they can be carefully pried off the underside of the top, but there is a small risk of marring the F-hole edge in doing so, and the elements will be trash. If the pickup is in the bridge, like the Fishman, you'll want to replace the bridge.
    The K&K elements have no effect on the sound of the mandolin, so I would opt to leave them if it were my choice.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

The pick up is k&k twin, through the end pin hole and the tailpiece has been altered. Really in the scheme of things it should be of no concern. Like pops mentioned it’s a plus for many. At some point I’ll install a James tailpiece for convenience and maybe deal with removal then. In the mean time I’ll keep it simple and just enjoy playing it. Thanks everyone for the advice! Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Lane, when you install the James tailpiece you can simply cut the wires to the endpin and put the new tailpiece on without taking the pickup out. It will have plenty of length to be soldered later if you or someone else would like. I would try to support the wires some way so they don't buzz in the mandolin when you play tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!