Thread: Bach BWV1007, an interesting experience with an unusual audience

Default Bach BWV1007, an interesting experience with an unusual audience

I’d like to share with you an interesting experience with an unusual audience. The Traditional Exhibition of Portraits at “Rakvere Galerii”, (Rakvere, Estonia) is an event what takes place every year. I was invited as a model and allowed to play mandolin if I don’t move too much and take some short breaks during the session. It didn’t really succeed. Maybe the atmosphere or maybe the acoustics of the room but somehow I got carried away, felt myself free, started to improvise over different interpretations, forgot my breaks and so on. I really hope that was not a big problem to the artists. At this time I haven’t seen the pictures, but for me all of this resulted in somewhat romantic style of interpretation.
    With some differences it felt like playing in the street, where people going by without reaction, many of them hearing but not really listening. In the other hand these artists not only saw me but were looking at me with their most attention, not all the time of course...
    But, here is the video:
    https://youtu.be/FlMOC_mjTN8

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toomas Rannu For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bach BWV1007, an interesting experience with an unusual audie

As a former art student and as a mandolin player, this seemed quite natural. I am sure everyone listened because there were few distractions aside from cell phones and a cold window.
    My best compliment (and there are others...) is that I watched the whole video. At first, the setting seemed pretentious. But after a while the focus for me at least became the music itself and the students working on their sketches. Instead of a seemingly egotistical show of art and music, it became a listening and viewing experience. BMV 1007 is 'contemplative' and just the right mood for this setting.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Very nice, Toomas.

I'd love to look around Estonia next time I'm there, get a better feel of everything that's around. I was there a couple of years ago for the revival of one of my operas in Saaremaa but time was extremely tight. By the time I flew in from New York via Helsinki to Talinn, then over to the island, rehearsals were already underway so I hardly got to emerge from the theater for a quick bite or an after-hours drink. Very art-loving people, those Estonians...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

6. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Thank you! I'm a slow writer and don't always find right words quickly enough how to say it, but I really appreciate you words. Toomas

Toomas, I wanted to see some of the drawings of you from those artists. Did they show you them?

Many years ago in New York City, my friends and I were asked to also pose playing our instruments and the School of Visual Arts. It was fun playing there. It did get cold since we had to pose nude.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I haven’t seen the pictures yet. Only some unfinished sketches right after the session. The exhibition will be opened in 21.02.2020 and I hope that somehow I can share these works with you. I’m also interested if the artists had captured some music on the paper. I don’t know how it’s possible, but maybe somehow. Is possible to portray a musician in action but is it also possible to depict music? How to depict different styles of interpretation? Or, why we still draw things, or play things when we’ve got machines to do that? And if we quit someday, the world will be a boring place.

11. The following members say thank you to Toomas Rannu for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Toomas, I wanted to see some of the drawings of you from those artists. Did they show you them?

Many years ago in New York City, my friends and I were asked to also pose playing our instruments and the School of Visual Arts. It was fun playing there. It did get cold since we had to pose nude.
    Hoping this won't show up on the Cafe video--or youtube

No nipples, please...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

I got the permission to share the works of the artists. Three artists of the five finished their work and one lady drew her work on the basis of a video, taken by another: thats the reason why two pictures have drawn from the same angle.
    Here they are, works of Maila Merilo, Ivo Ridalaan, Margit Kaare, Teet Suur:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rakvere galerii maila merilo2020.01.18C90A0861.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	184219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rakvere galerii ivo ridalaan2020.01.18C90A0866.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	184218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rakvere galerii margit kaare2020.0.18C90A0862.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	883.6 KB 
ID:	184220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rakvere galerii teet suur2020.01.18C90A0866.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	184221

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toomas Rannu For This Useful Post:

I love the different interpretations of the same scene. All beautiful.

17. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I love the different interpretations of the same scene. All beautiful.
    Something like different interpretations of the same composition.

19. The following members say thank you to Toomas Rannu for this post:

Gop