Default On eBay, 2007 Eastman MD615 with "some" wear

NFI
    https://ebay.us/Uqj6AR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture615.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	183583
    Saw this Eastman on eBay... I has some wear... or it is distressed... or it is in distress...
    It looks pretty rough in its current state. I guess it is possible someone "distessed" it for looks but more than likely has had pretty rough life so far.
    It does have a K&K pickup (duck taped on) so that's pretty sweet...

For $700+$144.55 shipping, I think a better deal can be found... I did send a message to the seller to make an offer of significantly less based on the visual condition. I have not heard anything.
    Just thought it might be interesting but not for that price. I've moved on but if someone else wants to try to get it cheap maybe the seller will re-think the pricing.
    If it actually plays well it would be a good beater for about half the asking price & shipping.

Default Re: On eBay, 2007 Eastman MD615 with "some" wear

My impression is that it has been "relic-ed" to look like Bill Monroe's mandolin -- which means it probably has very little actual wear. I mean, it's an 2007, after all. Most of that was probably done with sandpaper, I'm guessing, along with snapping off the curley-cue. I guess if it were mine, I'd go ahead and gouge out the name to complete the look.

Not sure where they got the $144 shipping cost. Seems high to me.

Yes. Very well could be to look like Bill’s. That was one of my first thoughts. I agree with gouging the name.
    That taped on pickup sure completes the Bill Monroe look too tho...

The $144 shipping is crazy too. I’ve shipped a mando across the country for under $40.

Not trying to be rude about it. If it belongs to a cafe member Maybe they could shed some light on it. But seller looks like a thrift store of some type with random items for sale.

And what's with all of the scratches on the headstock? And I shipped a guitar to Boston for $60.00 First Class. So $144 is WAY high IMHO.

I'm looking at that wear and immediately thinking "rocker". A lot of the gouging around the F hole looks to be a combination of pinkie and pick gouge. And the headstock has at least 2 points missing on it. Looks like it's played a lot of shows and not had much care. Wonder how the frets are? And if it's been refretted, how many times? There are a lot of chips around the scroll and lower on the body to make me think it's more real wear than cosmetic.

Oh, and it looks like the pickup is secured with electrical tape. Not duct. So hopefully easier to remove.

Even besides the shipping, that's no where near what I would personally spend on it. And I usually don't mind well worn instruments.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Some Eastmans of that vintage had a very soft finish, that wore away rapidly. I owned a MDA615 mandola from around that time period, that I played outdoors in hot direct sunlight a few weeks after I bought it, and my pinkie wore right through the finish in a couple hours' picking. I had to get a touch-up and a small clear plastic stick-on "pickguard" installed.

So the "distressing" may not be intentional. I concur that it looks like it was beaten into submission by a member of a really loud band. Puts a new spin on the "player's instrument" designation -- also the definition of "beater." And, although I'm generally an Eastman fan, I wouldn't pay half the asking price of one in that condition.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yeah... no. No thank you. But one man's garbage is another man's treasure - just look at my ex-wife