Thread: Setting pickup height?

Default Setting pickup height?

Is there a rule of thumb for setting the pickup height? (Lollar humbucker.) Or just trial and error?

It's currently set pretty high and close to the strings, (I hit it with the pick a bit), and I've raised the treble side to strengthen the E's.

Since I got my El Rey, I have lots of questions, but I'm having a great time with it!

Thanks!

Default Re: Setting pickup height?

Found any changes by a trial and error attempt?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Mandodork View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb for setting the pickup height? (Lollar humbucker.) Or just trial and error? It's currently set pretty high and close to the strings, (I hit it with the pick a bit), and I've raised the treble side to strengthen the E's.
    The closer the pole pieces are to the string, the more current the pickup will produce BUT if you get too close magnetism from the pickup will effect how the string vibrates causing a perceived loss of volume, compression and distortion.

To increase the output from a string set you can also vary the gauge of the strings. For example, you could go to a heavier gauge for the E which will provide more metal mass over the pickup. Depending on the metal used for the windings, wound strings (bronze, nickel) may appear thicker but in some cases the only metal causing the pickup to react is the center core.

I find it best to adjust the pickup low-ish to get the best balance between the strings (which also means adjusting the pickup under the hotter strings lower) then moving the whole pickup toward the strings until you get the overall output level you're looking for.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

This Google search mainly retrieves guitar humbucker height info. Extrapolate from there.
    Gibson recommends 1/16" (1.6 mm) for the bridge pickup and 3/32" (2.4 mm) for the neck.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAg&uact=5

By the way, an American quarter [coin] is 1.75 mm. Pretty close to the bridge pickup height.
    Two dimes totals 2.7 mm. Pretty close to the neck pickup height.
    These are distances between the pickups and strings. I tend to angle the G string
    side of the pickup a little lower [ie. further from the string].

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

if you go to the manufactures website, they should have 'rule of thumb' measurements - then go from there, if you need to...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;