Thread: Vintage Gibson---Anything Other Than Ebony for a Teen's Gibson

Default Vintage Gibson---Anything Other Than Ebony for a Teen's Gibson

I came across a Gibson A-4 with a non-ebony Bridge (has grain on the bottom and is lighter colored--tan)--and has been colored to look like ebony. Just wondering if Gibson could have ever used anything but ebony on their non-adjustable bridges?
    Last edited by Andy Morton; Feb-09-2020 at 10:54am.

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Vintage Gibson---Anything Other Than Ebony for a Teen's Gibso

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Morton View Post
    I came across a Gibson A-4 with a non-ebony Bridge (has grain on the bottom and is lighter colored--tan)--and has been colored to like ebony. Just wondering if Gibson could have ever used anything but ebony on their non-adjustable bridges?
    I've seen 20-21 F-4 with fingerboard made out of either dark BRW or some similar rosewood. Definately not ebony but quite dark to match factory specs...
    Adrian

Teacher, repair person

Yes, they occasionally used rosewood. It can be considered to be rare. I only recall seeing it on low model A's.
    I've also seen striped ebony used.
    Original Gibson bridges usually have a patent date stamped into the base.

Registered User jascime@yahoo.com's Avatar

A little late to the party, but I also have what I think is an early 1930s A oval mandolin with a Rosewood bridge. Is it possible that with ebony being scarce or expensive that Gibson would also have skipped the ebony plate on the headstock? The mandolin I have was left in mahogany - no veneer cap at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jascime@yahoo.com View Post
    A little late to the party, but I also have what I think is an early 1930s A oval mandolin with a Rosewood bridge. Is it possible that with ebony being scarce or expensive that Gibson would also have skipped the ebony plate on the headstock? The mandolin I have was left in mahogany - no veneer cap at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compress_20230721_073507_7917.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	208652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compress_20230721_073507_7637.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	208653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compress_20230721_073507_7159.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	208654

That's not the finish one would expect on an A from this era- the pickguard is, though. It may have been given a work over by somebody which might explain the anomalies it has but it is possible, they are original to it.

If indeed this is a 1930s Gibson, I would guess they would have originally used an adjustable bridge (ebony or RW?) by then. Do you have a serial number and FON for the cognesanti. This one seems to date back to the teens (trussrod??).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    If indeed this is a 1930s Gibson, I would guess they would have originally used an adjustable bridge (ebony or RW?) by then. Do you have a serial number and FON for the cognesanti. This one seems to date back to the teens (trussrod??).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Len, there are a number of anomalies that I can see comparing it to my 1916 Gibson A. I'm no expert and can only compare to my 1916. I also have a 1936 Kalamazoo KM11, and this the neck profile is more like the Kala. At this point, I can't tell if I'm seeing anomalies or the slight changes the occur in producrion over 15 years. If it is a Gibson, it is the Waverly cloud tailpiece , the pickguard and the larger machine head ferrules that lead me to a circa 1930 date. But all of those items could be purchased and added at any time.

I only just received the mandolin yesterday, and so haven't explored in detail. But it has no label, either. As it stands, it's either an odd ball Gibson or a very, very good replica made by a master builder, and using period hardware and extremely good quality woods. The top grain is VERY tight and the back has wonderful Birdseye maple. But if it is a replica, it seems odd that the maker would have cut corners by omitting the ebony and the truss rod - every other detail is precisely identical to the eye. And it makes some sense if made during depression, that cost cutting would be omw an issue. After all, that's how gibson came up with Kalamazoo, Kel Croyden, etc. in the offort to cut costs and retail prices.

I will spend some time this wkd studying, measuring and photographing the mando and will make a separate, detailed post some time very soon.

Cheers,
    Js

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Hi Js,
    It looks to me like a copy of a Gibson fixed bridge used until 1921 or so. All bridges were stamped with the patent date. Is this bridge stamped?

Gibsons did not use an adjustable truss rod (hence a truss rod cover) until late 1921. The holly wood peghead veneer on a non truss rod Gibsons was always dyed a deep, deep brown that looks black.

Is the face of the instrument carved with an arch or flat?

Best, Charles

For what it is worth, I have a Gibson A-2 that I bought from a woman in Kalamazoo many years ago. She told me that her husband bought it in 1922 and died a year later. It is fitted with a non-adjustable ebony bridge, but in the case is an ebony, patent dated, adjustable bridge. Interestingly, the adjustable bridge has never had slots cut for the strings. Perhaps it was a transition period, and both bridges were provided. Or maybe it was an option at additional cost.
    George