Thread: intonation fix from string length

Default intonation fix from string length

I have a rigel which I really like. it is sharp on all the frets,, on the open strings i tune to pitch , and every fretted step is mostly equally sharp, not horribly but visually noticeable on a tuner . \
    am I correct in thinking that the string length from nut to bridge is off.

and if so , I can not move the bridge as it is glued in place , so can I file the nut back just a bit by rounding it off, so the sting length is a little bit longer? appreciate and help , thanks kevin

Default Re: intonation fix from string length

Are you sure that the bridge is glued in place? That would be unusual for a floating bridge. Sometimes they just get stuck to the finish and need a little persuasion.

You are correct that the bridge most likely needs to be moved. You don't want to change the nut location, as that will throw off the intonation of the lower frets disproportionately. If you can get the bridge lose, move it back toward the tailpiece until the twelfth fret is exactly an octave above each open string, or as close as you can get them.

Like Andrew, I can't believe the bridge is glued in place. I think with all strings off and a little help, that bridge will be free.

great thanks what is the best procedure for that a gentle tap with a light padded hammer?

Please don't tap it with a hammer. Loosen the strings and see if it moves, if it is stuck you may have to take them all off. It is possible the finish was not fully cured and it stuck. Mark where it is so you can have a starting place and move it back until it is correct.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I had a similar problem with a Heiden last year. Michael suggested putting a TINY BIT of mineral spirits or such around the base with a toothpick and let set for an hour or 2, then trying to wiggle the bridge till it broke free. (As it turned out, I never tried it.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

thanks for the tips , I have done nothing yet, I have not taken all the strings off yet only had it long enough to change strings one time , so it may not be a problem at all. thanks again and I welcome any more tips on this. kevin

it tuned out it was not a problem, moved the low side about 1/4" the e side about 1/8" all good now. thanks