Thread: Dust In a Baggie Billy Strings and Don Julin

Default Dust In a Baggie Billy Strings and Don Julin

Anyone made a chord chart for this one? Better yet, has anyone tabbed out Don Julin's break? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Dust In a Baggie Billy Strings and Don Julin

I've got a chord chart. Have to figure out how to link it. In the meantime, here's what I've got for the first part of the second verse. But, trammeled in the head makes very little sense. Travelled makes less sense. Anybody got a better ear?

Well if I would have listened to what Mom and Poppa said
    I wouldn’t be locked up in prison trammeled in my head

Here’s some lyrics and what looks like some guitar tab, just google dust in a baggie and explore the links.

http://jdarks.com/files/DustInABaggie.pdf

Here’s a guitar lesson where the guy is explaining the tune and teaching the guitar solo with standard notation...if you don’t read it then at least you could listen to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGm8qZYGw58

I listened to Dons solo and the tune is going so fast that he’s hanging out on some chord and chord tones with some runs in between. I know...not helpful when you want TAB but I can think of two things you could do...one, get amazing slow downer and listen to the break slowed down and just keep at it until you get it. It is hard and frustrating at first but keep at it and it’ll come. I do this with a lot of breaks, I don’t always get what the player is doing note for note so I just fill in some parts with my own interpretation. YouTube will let you slow down the video and you can watch his hand.

Second, contact Don...I’d bet he’d be willing to do a lesson to teach you the break and probably get some other advice as well.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I got that same version as bigsky. Here's a thought...sometimes I have to tab out parts for instruments other than mandolin for my beginner slow jam and I use tabedit and put in whatever part I do have (usually mando tab or standard notation and then I use the tabedit feature that allows me to change instrument. I've done that with converting my mando tab to guitar, ukulele and banjo. I pick up my guitar or uke and play it to check to see what tabedit did with the piece and it usually sounds ok (can't check banjo, don't play it). Sometimes, the location of the note is not where I would play it, but for the most part its fine. It would give you a starting point in any case. So for "dust in a baggie"you could try entering the guitar tab in the version big sky linked and see what it comes up with. I'm gonna try that myself. eventually.

Thanks Bigsky. Troubled in the head makes soo much more sense. And given that I came up with travelled but not troubled, I feel a little dumb. Thanks for the tabedit idea too Bunnyf

Quote Originally Posted by hattio View Post
    Thanks Bigsky. Troubled in the head makes soo much more sense. And given that I came up with travelled but not troubled, I feel a little dumb. Thanks for the tabedit idea too Bunnyf
    You’re not alone, here’s an entire website on misheard lyrics http://www.kissthisguy.com/
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7