Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin as carry on?

Default Mandolin as carry on?

Anyone have recent experience flying with their mandolin? I've only done it once a few years ago. I was able to take it and a carry on bag to store in the overheads.

I'm flying Delta next week. If I knew I could take it as carry on, I would proceed. I have time to ship it ahead via Fedex. I'd rather avoid the cold weather shipping and chance of damage or loss. I do have a Calton flight case. I'd almost rather take the risk with Fedex vs. the gorillas at the baggage area.

BTW- it's my backup mandolin, but I still don't want to have anything happen to it.

Thanks

Default Re: Mandolin as carry on?

I always use a hard case and put it in the overhead. My other carry-on fits under the seat. Sign in on-line early. Never had a problem.

How many carry on pieces of luggage do the airlines permit ?
    Last edited by DGtryin; Feb-08-2020 at 11:24am.

Assuming you get 1 overhead storage item and 1 personal item (backpack, purse, etc), you should make the mando your overhead item. Don’t try to take it and a rolling suitcase on board, because the Calton won’t fit underneath the seat. Either check a bag for your clothes/toiletries or fit everything into a backpack or computer bag that will fit under the seat. Just flew Delta to Cancun with a short layover in Atlanta last week and saw several guitars and a trombone stowed overhead. It helps to pay to upgrade your boarding status as well. I had a travel uke in my backpack

I was able to fly last August to/from Boston with a mando in a gig bag as my under seat item, but the gig bag wasn’t Reunion Blues or Travelite beefy. I originally put it overhead cuz I’d gate checked the roller, but nixed that plan after a lady tried to crush the thing with her suit case (in her defense she was too short to see it).

Ultimately, it comes down to the mood of the flight attendants, who generally respond quite well to politeness, courtesy, and reason...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Assuming you get 1 overhead storage item and 1 personal item (backpack, purse, etc), you should make the mando your overhead item. Don’t try to take it and a rolling suitcase on board, because the Calton won’t fit underneath the seat.
    +1
    Have flown 5 times in the last 5 months with my mandolin in a Hoffee and my computer in a messengers bag.
    The Hoffee fits in the overhead and the computer under the seat in front of me.
    Only got a hassle once from a gate agent, who thought it was too big for the overhead.
    I told her I fly with it all the time....she just shrugged as I took it on board.

FYI, not all tickets these days follow the "1 carry-on and 1 personal item" rule you might be used to. Assume you have 1 personal item and no carry-on unless you have verified (or paid) that they'll let you do that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...nstruments.pdf

"On February 14, 2012, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (the Act) was signed into law.
    Section 403 of the Act requires U.S. air carriers to accept musical instruments on their passenger flights either as carry-on baggage or checked baggage, provided that certain conditions are met. The passage of Section 403 is Congress’ response to difficulties musicians have encountered when transporting their instruments during air travel."

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
    Anyone have recent experience flying with their mandolin? I've only done it once a few years ago. I was able to take it and a carry on bag to store in the overheads.

I'm flying Delta next week. If I knew I could take it as carry on, I would proceed. I have time to ship it ahead via Fedex. I'd rather avoid the cold weather shipping and chance of damage or loss. I do have a Calton flight case. I'd almost rather take the risk with Fedex vs. the gorillas at the baggage area.

BTW- it's my backup mandolin, but I still don't want to have anything happen to it.

Thanks
    Just flew Delta from SFO to Nashville on Thursday with mine. No issues.

I flew Delta last week from Minneapolis/St Paul to Pittsburgh with no problems. One of the stewardesses and the pilot were musicians and we had a nice chat about my mandolin.
    Eastman 815 f
    Northfield Calhoun
    Saga kit campfire/travel mando
    Music Makers Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sorensen View Post
    https://www.transportation.gov/sites...nstruments.pdf

"On February 14, 2012, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (the Act) was signed into law.
    Section 403 of the Act requires U.S. air carriers to accept musical instruments on their passenger flights either as carry-on baggage or checked baggage, provided that certain conditions are met. The passage of Section 403 is Congress’ response to difficulties musicians have encountered when transporting their instruments during air travel."

Steve
    That is all fine, but the flight crew still retains all the discretion it needs to deny an instrument in the cabin on a crowded flight. You can't rely on this language, and I would never travel with an instrument that wasn't in a case that could withstand unexpectedly being thrown into the luggage compartment.

That being said, I often fly with a guitar, and I can only recall two times in the last 3-4 years that I wasn't allowed on the plane with it. The vast majority of times, it's been fine in the overhead compartment. And I'd imagine the odds are even better with a mandolin.

If OP has a Calton case, that seems to suggest the obvious solution: use that case. It'll fit just fine in the overhead, which is most likely where it will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    FYI, not all tickets these days follow the "1 carry-on and 1 personal item" rule you might be used to. Assume you have 1 personal item and no carry-on unless you have verified (or paid) that they'll let you do that.
    Agree. If you buy a ticket via a discount site (like Priceline), your status is at the very bottom and you may not have the same policy and someone that bought from the airline direct. Having status always helps as you can get on earlier and grab precious overhead bin space before it fills up. I would not fly with a gig bag as there is the chance they could make you check your bag

I fly a fair amount internationally and I've never had a problem with the mando as carryon. (My last trip, it was the mando in a hard case and a soprano ukulele in a gig bag bungeed together!) It fits fine in an overhead bin.

Just double-check the baggage allowances on your ticket because, as already noted the 1+1 carryon rule is no longer universal - the airlines are nickle-and-diming us to death.

Also, if you're flying smaller jets like a Bombardier or something be aware that you might be asked to gate-check the instrument. In that case (NPI) a gig bag would be a gamble.

Jinx, DaveGinNJ, you owe me a Coke!

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    I fly a fair amount internationally and I've never had a problem with the mando as carryon. (My last trip, it was the mando in a hard case and a soprano ukulele in a gig bag bungeed together!) It fits fine in an overhead bin.

Just double-check the baggage allowances on your ticket because, as already noted the 1+1 carryon rule is no longer universal - the airlines are nickle-and-diming us to death.

Also, if you're flying smaller jets like a Bombardier or something be aware that you might be asked to gate-check the instrument. In that case (NPI) a gig bag would be a gamble.
    I took my mando on a business trip to Australia last year, and the final leg was on a Dash-8 prop plane. With these they take your carry-on bag as you board the plane and toss it in cargo because the overhead bins are tiny. I was able to convince them to let me take the mando on board and the attendant found a spot for it for me.

I’ve traveled all over and not once had an issue. I’d toss it in the Calton and not worry. Worst case scenario it takes up your leg room.

I wear hospital scrubs and put the mandolin in a cooler marked ORGAN FOR TRANSPLANT.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

I've bungee corded a guitar and a mandolin together as a single carry-on to go in the overhead with no problem, flying in anything but a puddle-jumper.

Got home a while ago from a trip to Virginia. We flew from BWI to MHT on Southwest. For the return trip, I checked in, literally, the minute I could (I was sitting there waiting like it was an ebay auction), and yet had C14 as a boarding position (I'm not too happy about that, but won't go there). The flight was totally full and they requested folks in C to gate check their carry on, especially if it didn't fit the prescribed parameters (ie. 24" length). It was very, very stressful, waiting to see if I'd have any trouble getting my mando into the cabin. I had one of my Strad-O-Lin's in a TKL case, and it was raining out. In the end, we went to the back of the plane, and there was space in the overhead compartment. I've never been happier to settle into my seat for a flight.

Later, at the gate, I watched them through the window unloading the plane and tossing stuff around in the rain. I am exceedingly grateful that there was no issue.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

21. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Kind of eerie to see people posting about traveling in Feb. of 2020...
    This topic died off for a few years!

(BTW - I travel with a mandolin routinely, occasionally internationally, never had a problem. Don't carry a bunch of other stuff, don't make a spectacle of yourself, it will be fine)

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Got home a while ago from a trip to Virginia. We flew from BWI to MHT on Southwest. For the return trip, I checked in, literally, the minute I could (I was sitting there waiting like it was an ebay auction), and yet had C14 as a boarding position (I'm not too happy about that, but won't go there). The flight was totally full and they requested folks in C to gate check their carry on, especially if it didn't fit the prescribed parameters (ie. 24" length). It was very, very stressful, waiting to see if I'd have any trouble getting my mando into the cabin. I had one of my Strad-O-Lin's in a TKL case, and it was raining out. In the end, we went to the back of the plane, and there was space in the overhead compartment. I've never been happier to settle into my seat for a flight.

Later, at the gate, I watched them through the window unloading the plane and tossing stuff around in the rain. I am exceedingly grateful that there was no issue.
    I was on a Southwest flight from Maui to Kauai back in July. I had booked the flight at the last minute trying to escape an incoming tropical storm. I was one of the last people to board the plane. I am thinking no way my mandolin is going to fit. Found a seat way in the back and to my shock there was just enough space to stow my mandolin. I have done many flights with my mandolin and have yet to have to check it. Knock wood

24. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Blog Entries

I have carried on, and also have had to check, and in neigher case was there any issue. Well some nail biting sure, but otherwise...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Speaking of, does anyone have any good recommendations for cases? I don't want anything too crazy expensive. Just something to carry my mandolin to and from my friend's place across town. We're learning how to play together. Teehee!

I had no issue carrying on a pretty big rectangular mandolin case on Delta last year from CLT to ATL to SFO. I did try to get in the earlier boarding groups wherever an upgrade was possible. One time a flight attendant was looking for bag space and opened up my closed compartment. I got real nervous and she said "oh, there's an instrument in here" and closed it and moved on.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Personal experience from last weekend, flying American Airlines, Tucson to Raleigh and back. There were 5 total legs on this trip. Overall no problems. However, if you can swing it I recommend upgrading your boarding group. Yes it stinks to have to give the airline more of your money but I would think of it as short term insurance for your instrument. As mentioned above, overhead space is at a premium and early boarding eliminates this problem. On the way back we didn't have this option as our original flights cancelled. The last leg was on a smaller plane with smaller overhead bins. I was able to find room but it was a little bit from where we were sitting.
    I was using a TKL case as it is smaller than my usual one. Really would not have wanted to check it.

February 2020...we knew it was coming but it hadn't fully hit yet in the southeast. But, I distinctly remember that all of the Asian travelers on that Cancun trip were wearing masks already...as we all probably should have been.

With a kid in Boston and a kid in LA, I'm back to traveling pretty frequently. I've still had no issues with mandolin as a carry on (knocking on wood, knocking on wood). I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago and found an electric guitar at TME that I couldn't leave without. I knew this was a possibility so only had a duffle bag I could have fit under the seat if needed. As I was boarding (group 4) I asked one of the flight attendants if I could put that guitar in an empty first class bin, figuring they were done with boarding and offering that I knew it was a full flight. She offered their coat closet, which I greatly appreciated.

As for the question about a case, I'm a fan of the new Crossrock fiberglass cases. Not a Calton and not advertised as a flight case, but they offer excellent protection for use otherwise. Pricier than a TKL or similar case, but, well, there's a reason for that.
    Chuck