Thread: Help with Big Muddy Action/Bridge height

Default Help with Big Muddy Action/Bridge height

I bought a Big Muddy MW-0 last year. The bridge it came with was too low... there was significant buzzing above fret 5. I contacted Mike, and he sent me some alternate bridges. I had the bridge replaced with the next size up. The buzzing went away, but now the action at the lower frets is a bit too high for my liking. I'm thinking I might need to try sanding down the bridge a bit to lower the action. I'm afraid I won't be able to sand it evenly enough. Anyone have any experience in this area? Other thoughts?

Thanks!
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Default Re: Help with Big Muddy Action/Bridge height

Before you start to change the bridge measure the height of the G and E strings from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. Also fret the strings at the second fret and see what kind of clearance you have above the first fret. Your problem could be at the nut now. Also fret the G string at both the 1st and 12th fret and see if your neck is bowed by looking around the 6-7th frets and look for space between the frets and string. Let us know what you find.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks... I'll measure when I get home.

I measure about 1/16" between fret and string for both G and E at the 12th fret. Minimal space above the first fret when fretting second fret. If I fret first and 12th, i do see space at frets 6-7.

Any input is appreciated

If you have light strings on the action needs to be higher than with heavier strings. Not sure about these, but I would think a lighter string set. 1/16 at the G is about where you should be for a lighter set, I like it a little lower on the E, but depending on the gauge it could be ok. No with this action you don't want to see space around frets 6-7. If you can fret both 1st and 12th and use another finger to quickly press the string, I use G, if you can hear it hit the fret, but can't really see space that is about perfect.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks pops. I checked fretting 1 and 12 together again, and taking a closer look it is as you describe - some space but very little. Big Muddy specs "Medium Light" strings - 11-16-24-38. Actually the more I play it the better it feels - it's just such a different fretboard than my Collings that it takes some getting used to.

Cheers,

Rob