Thread: Mystery Solved

Default Mystery Solved

I noticed this strange pattern on my shirt collar after taking it off on Sunday, at first I was baffled by what could have caused it. I only wore it for a few hours at church, and changed clothes when I got home. After a bit of head scratching I finally figured out it was from my braided mandolin strap. What is weird is that the strap is about 7 years old, and I've never noticed anything like this until now. I can't see anything visually wrong with the strap, but I can get a white rag to stain by rubbing it on the strap. The good news is that it seems to come right out with a bit of soap and water.

I'll probably order a new Lakota Leathers strap today as soon as I figure out what color I like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stain.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	183385
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Mystery Solved

Hmmm... Is it possible that you worked up a decent-but-not-obvious sweat while playing? On rare occasion, I've found that the local temperture & humidity combination can bring on a surprising amount of, uhmm, physiological response, for me showing up as short-term clouded finish. Thinking about it now, I realize that that's mostly in summertime, either outdoors or in w/out A/C.

FWIW, I've softened more than one thick leather strap by recalling that the same leather was used on harnesses, so left 'em outdoors in storm & sun, soaked in a bucket, few days in the freezer, etc. No damage done. If yours has excess oil seeping into the shirt, that might be a solution.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I wonder if it is just neck sweat on the strap coming off on your shirt, or if it is actually stain getting on your shirt. My straps have never stained my clothes, which is why I am wondering (and I have straps on all of my guitars and mandolins.)

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Was the sermon such that you were sweating a lot more than usual?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I wonder if it is just neck sweat on the strap coming off on your shirt, or if it is actually stain getting on your shirt. My straps have never stained my clothes, which is why I am wondering (and I have straps on all of my guitars and mandolins.)
    The reason I posted this is because it is a bit of a puzzler. I've never had anything like this happen in 50+ years of playing. I at first thought the same thing, could it be just sweat? But if that were the case, I think I would have some stains on the inside of the collar. I don't think I sweat a lot, but of course we all do from time to time. But Sunday wasn't a particularly hot day. And the mark comes off very easily, I just tested it with cold water and an old toothbrush, and I was able to remove a lot of it with very little effort.

I don't know much about leather processing, but could this perhaps be a natural, or vegetable dye? I'm purposely not going to name the maker of the strap because this is not the place for that, plus I don't even feel that it's defective. Maybe I can just wash it out and start again, but it's hardly worth it.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Blog Entries

Some plastics seem to deteriorate all of a sudden after several years of being just fine and become a bit sticky in the process.
    I've noticed it in the softer textured plastics used for some keyboards and recording consoles
    I wonder if there's something similar in the dye used for the triangle pattern on your strap?
    perhaps some kind of plasticiser in a thread coating if it's embroidered?
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I had a shirt ruined after a hot outdoor gig. My Saga James Shelton strap transferred dye to my shirt from my perspiration. I have another older original Shelton and never noticed any bleed from it.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band