Thread: Tuning a Mexican vihuela in fifths?

Default Tuning a Mexican vihuela in fifths?

This here eBay ad got me thinking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vtg...53.m1438.l2649

That is quite clearly a Mexican vihuela, not a mandolin; it even says so on the label. The vihuela has 5 strings and provides harmony to the lead guitar in mariachi music. It is typically tuned ADGBE, but in a re-entrant tuning so the A, D, and G strings are an octave higher than they would be on a guitar.

It looks OK for the money, although it would be nice to have a few more frets. I wonder about tuning one FCGDA and playing it as a 5-string tenor. But maybe that's a silly idea.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

fox 

Default Re: Tuning a Mexican vihuela in fifths?

The four frets it does have look like they slant a bit. You may want to completely refret it. Unless you can get it for less though it might not be worth it. Our local big box music store, Sam Ash, carries one line of Mexican instruments. They seem pretty decently made and are reasonably priced. They have a guitarron that is pretty cool. I remember being at Galax in the 1980s and some friends got on stage with their old time band and used a guitarron as their bass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	384.8 KB 
ID:	183394
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Feb-04-2020 at 12:36pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Default Re: Tuning a Mexican vihuela in fifths?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    The four frets it does have look like they slant a bit. You may want to completely refret it.
    Maybe, but the frets may just need to be re-adjusted if they are still tight enough to hold.