Thread: Happened to you?

Default Happened to you?

I had an experience in my home/recording studio this afternoon. I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else? This little tune is 51 secs long and illustrates my point

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-benjam...tion-blues-mp3

===========

Default Re: Happened to you?

First - beautiful tone on that piece . . . keep up the good work.

Many years ago I was in the middle of a home session, and between takes I heard strange Russian music coming through weakly in my headphones. After some investigation and further listening, I discovered that Radio Free Europe was coming through on my bass amp; (I live in Connecticut). Lucklily, I never shut the recorder off during the whole fiasco, so I saved the whole thing on a cassette tape for several years, until the tape finally broke.

Great story Mike, thanks. Quirky recording happenings indeed. Thanks for the kind word.

Nice tone on that mando, what brand name are you playing?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Hi John...that mando is a Collings Mt w/torrfied top that is brand new. It's not really mine but nice little A5 for sure.

6. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

JAK 

У меня были странные звуки, но я никогда не слышал Радио Свободная Европа на русском языке.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had strange noises but never Radio Free Europe in Russian.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

Our duo were in an Italian cafe with a single mic into a laney acoustic amp. when this couple moved nearer & sat down right by the stage.
    All kinds of hellish feedback started, and there was nothing we could do to control it. He suddenly had one of those lightbulb moments and switched off his hearing aid. Peace was restored. Apparently the induction loop setting on his hearing aid was interacting directly with the spring reverb in the amp.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

9. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    Quirky recording happenings indeed.
    Of course, the quirkiest thing that ever happened to me was the one and only time in my life that I played a song all the way through without screwing up . . . and, of course, that time I didn't have the tape running . . . . .

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

One early recording session with my band was in a community room at the neighborhood cultural center. The floor was so squeaky! Every take, at the sustained hold at the end, every little motion, even blinking, got a big squeak!
    At a later session, in my parents country home basement, that was a quiet as can be, in the middle of a take, all hell broke loose upstairs. I went to investigate. My mom was smacking a bag of frozen berries on the counter to get them ready to cook. I asked, what the heck? We’d discuss the need for quiet. She says” oh could you hear that?”
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

13. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Blog Entries

I held a house concert in my family room, and suddenly the hanging ceiling lamp sympathetically vibrated at almost f natural. Had to damp it with Kleenex or something once we figured out what was going on.

- Lesson one is that spaces designed for concerts, or recording, or have seen long usage as concert spaces and recording studios, have solved all these kinds of problems. So when using a space in a way for which it is not originally designed, there are things to test for before hand. Sort of like using the side yard for a soccer game without checking if its level or has tree stumps.

- Lesson two is that I am oblivious to a lot of things as I play or record at home. So I don't notice that the cell phone vibrated or that someone clumped up the stairs or clattered the dishes. I think it sounds great, till I see hear the recording. What I hear while playing, in many ways actually, is not all that is there. (I do a fair amount of recording myself on my cell phone, to improve my intonation and such. I can promise you nobody is going to hear those recordings.)

- Lesson three is something I have become exhausted explaining to folks. A jam is not a concert. Sounding really excellent together, though it often happens, is much less important than playing together. (Its the experience of the musicians playing with and for each other that makes a jam. Not the ensemble sound an audience might hear.) All kinds of chair squeaking, back ground people noises, a game of darts over in the corner, espresso machine sputtering is tolerated. I even attended a jam where the jam leader, while playing the tune with us expertly, was singing a follow on tune to a fellow next to him who didn't know it. (The guy is a genius.)
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Cobalt 

===========

I recorded several cuts for one of my albums in the basement of my house - just before the end of one track, the water pump kicked on . . . luckily the whirling sound of the pump was in the same key I was playing in, so I let it go.

Another time a local musician was using my downtown studio to cut some demo tracks. At the very end of one song, an ambulance screamed past the window . . . however, as it turned out, the ambulance noise was a perfect sound effect to fit the song lyrics, so we left it in.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Many years ago I bought a Yamaha PA from a friend who had acquired it from a gentleman we both knew who had passed away. The friend told me that several times he had set up the PA and heard his deceased friends guitar playing quietly. Now I've owned it for over ten years and never heard such a thing, but it was a good story and did help sell the PA.

19. The following members say thank you to OlDanTucker for this post:

Cobalt 

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    ... an experience in my home/recording studio ...[/url]
    ... being, obviously, that the music "spoke to you"!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Years ago I received a cd from a friend, while listening to quieter moments on the tracks, I could detect nose breathing. The cd is good but after that, all I could hear was the nose breathing, lol!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I have a cat that waits till I’m in the middle of a recording to decide that she wants to go out.
    I’m just beginning the B part and she walks to the middle of the room and sits down facing me, and then does intense staring.
    And I stare at the notation.
    I do not look up.
    She’s very polite, she’ll only miao if I look up.
    So I stare at the notation.
    It’s terrible though because as soon as I play the last note or chord of the tune, while the notes are still ringing, I look up.
    Miao! she’s on the recording.
    Dang!

23. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Cobalt 

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Years ago I received a cd from a friend, while listening to quieter moments on the tracks, I could detect nose breathing. The cd is good but after that, all I could hear was the nose breathing, lol!
    Some Steve Earle recordings drive me to distraction with that.....

25. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

If you listen to "Nashville Storms" on Michael Cleveland's Fiddlers Dream album you can hear a very noticeable moaning in the background. I asked Mike about it and he said it was Andy Statman's humming bleeding through on the mandolin mic. I can't listen to that track because that's all I hear now. I guess most people didn't notice it since it was nominated for a Grammy. The first time I heard it I thought my hearing aid was feeding back until I realized I wasn't wearing it.
    Out of tune and out of time.

27. The following members say thank you to HappyPickin for this post:

I can't listen to Since I've Been Loving You without getting distracted by the deafening squeak of John Bonham's kick drum pedal.
    Clark Beavans

===========

During the recording of some string segments for the Electric Light Orchestra's 'Eldorado' album, some members of the hired British orchestra stopped in mid-performance and put away their instruments. Apparently they were being paid by the hour and the British Union rules would not let them play any more than they were being payed for. Consequently, during the actual recording session, just as the hour was up, some members simply stopped playing and began putting instruments in their cases. The recording was somehow salvageable and the track was used on the album.