Thread: Mandola Classical Arrangements

Blog Entries

Default Mandola Classical Arrangements

So … does anyone know where I can find arrangements in standard notation for classical music? Tab in addition would be fine, but Tab alone won't help me.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandola Classical Arrangements

Have you explored IMSLP? https://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

A large music store with plenty of sheet music and books (like our Portland Music Co) would probably have plenty of ideas plus maybe a few "fakebooks" of classical themes.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I can't thank you enough. Until this moment, I'd never heard of it.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

By standard notation do you mean alto clef? Actually are you talking about American mandola tuned CGDA or European mandola tuned GDAE one octave lower than mandolin. If the former then look for viola music. If the latter then violin.

I know IMSLP Has transcriptions of Bach cello suites for both viola and violin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Registered User Jean-Pierre WOOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    By standard notation do you mean alto clef? Actually are you talking about American mandola tuned CGDA or European mandola tuned GDAE one octave lower than mandolin..
    Right !

Blog Entries

Isn't a "European Mandola" what's known in the civilized world as an "Octave Mandolin"? :-)

My problem is strictly trying to figure out where to play pieces on the Mandola (Am.) that range from the G-below-middle-C to the G above the treble cleff and above. I've taken a stab at transposing on the fly from GDAE to CGDA, but my fingers and brain get hopelessly tangled.
    belbein

In one of the Carlo Aonzo workshops we did one of the Bach Brandenburgs which has three different parts for violins, violas and cellos. I was asked to play mandola but hadn't read C-clef in quite a few years. They gave me a transposed part notared in treble clef as if the mandola was GDAE but sounded correctly for the piece. Loads of fun. I have a Calace mandola which BTW has a 17" scale but could be strung for viola tuning or for octave mandolin. I have it in the CGDA right now but have some Dogal strings for octave tuning which I think I prefer as a mandolin player.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1