Thread: Anyone tried a Virzi Tone Producer on an oval-holed mandocello?

Default Anyone tried a Virzi Tone Producer on an oval-holed mandocello?

I have an Eastman oval-holed mandocello, and it would be pretty simple (though admittedly time intensive) to add a Virzi to it, so just asking around.... strange request, I know

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Anyone tried a Virzi Tone Producer on an oval-holed mandocell

Unless I am mistaken, a Virzi that would be suitable for a mandocello would be rather large and might not fit through the sound hole.

Opening the back on an old instrument is difficult. Opening the back on a modern one is very, very difficult.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, a Virzi that would be suitable for a mandocello would be rather large and might not fit through the sound hole.

Opening the back on an old instrument is difficult. Opening the back on a modern one is very, very difficult.
    Very True. But by splitting the tone producer in half and notching it, I should have no trouble getting it through the sound hole and fitted back together. It will be a bit of a pain in the butt. I have had worse projects. I just have no idea if it would be worth it LOL. Thanks for the reply!

Blog Entries

Just take your time and you can pop the back off and try your Virzi project! Just don't rush it-that's the problem with many do it yourselfers-you get in a hurry and that's when bad mistakes happen, I think you can get an exacto/razor knife and slowly score your binding-keep in one piece for easy re-installing nd then scrape the glue, slowly separate the back with a sharp knife-Stew-Mac and others I'm sure sell them? Just take your time and I don't see it being a terrible job?
    I wouldn't put a Virzi in by cutting it in half and going through the soundhole! If you take the back off keep us updated with pix? I've taken backs off 30's Gibson A models-I just took my time and was able to save the binding? Best O' Luck! Go for it, it sounds interesting to me anyway and it can be done, luckily you have an instrument that you can experiment with as I wouldn't do it to say a teens-20's Gibson?

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Opening the back on an Eastman will be much more difficult than opening an old A-50.

The glues and finishes used to assemble Eastmans and old Gibsons are very different, and the Eastman synthetic glue joint will not pop loose in the same way the hide-glued Gibson joint will. It may be necessary to use a heated razor knife, or to saw through the joint, and the areas at the blocks will be especially difficult. The binding will not come off so easily, either. On the last modern instrument I opened [a 2008 Gibson guitar with a shattered back], it was necessary to rout the binding off and install new binding when I put the new back on.

Disassemble at your own risk.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yes with any modifications very well said "Disassemble at your own risk!" I'd go for it if the owner wanted to do it! My old saying "nothing to it but to do it!"

10. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: