Thread: EM-150 CL. Pretty fair deal. NFI.

Default EM-150 CL. Pretty fair deal. NFI.

Just listed last night, I imagine he'll move it pretty quick.

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/...067550965.html

Default Re: EM-150 CL. Pretty fair deal. NFI.

Kinda beat, but cheap enough. Parts and case are worth that.

I had one of those, and $350's what I paid for it, back in the day.

It wasn't easy to play, and I snapped the truss rod trying to easify it. Took it to a guitar show, the first guy I ran into offered me less than I was asking (I forget what that was), I told him "I'm not going to get lowballed by the first buyer I meet", he met my price, thanked me for my honesty (I told him about the truss rod), and that was the extent of my Gibson mandolin experience.

Closeups of the end of the fretboard, particularly the one shot from the treble side, show high action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	em150 high action.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	183367

Also, it looks like there's just a hole where the pickup jack should be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	em130 hole.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	183368

Last EM150 I owned was a '30s model, but someone had put a new (flat) back on it. I sold it to Zeke Griffin, who promised to give it a proper carved back.

This one looks like it'd need to be retopped. I'm not sure who in my area would be up for such a project. I still have projects being worked on by my two favorite repair techs, and would like to get those back before I send them anything else.

If, however, I were to have it retopped, I'd be tempted to make it a true semihollow electric. Have the luthier put in a solid center block to support the pickup, and carve a new top with no soundholes.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy Wood Thormahlen Andersen Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls