Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Thile's Loars

Default Re: Chris Thile's Loars

What do you think Thile means at the end of the video when he says Loar was "going nuts" with his personal mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    What do you think Thile means at the end of the video when he says Loar was "going nuts" with his personal mandolin?
    I think Chris Thile was enthusiastically explaining how L.L. went out of his way to make sure every detail was just right for his own personal F5 mandolin.

The phrase is pretty subjective though. In today's world, it wouldn't surprise me if upon hearing it, some of the nearby Vanderbiltians scampered off to their safe-rooms.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Feb-03-2020 at 10:37am. Reason: Misspelled 'Vanderbiltians' ;)
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Blog Entries

Because Loars personal mandolin is more than likely a killer F-5! Extra care was probably taken-Loar invented the pickup and it was installed in his Loar plus Lloyd was a Virzi advocate, Loars is from the first batch of the Feb 18th 24's and everyone of those that I've heard/played are my favorite Loars period! They are very special and I think most went to famous players of the day that were heads of Mandolin orchestras or teacher/dealers! I'd love one from the first batch so if someone has a beat/worn one and wants some sweet Ferns "as many like the early ferns better than Loar F-5's PMessage me and I'll throw in a load of quality rare and expensive mandolins!

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I think Chris Thile was enthusiastically explaining how L.L. went out of his way to make sure every detail was just right for his own personal F5 mandolin.

The phrase is pretty subjective though. In today's world, it wouldn't surprise me if upon hearing it, some of the nearby Vanderbiltians scampered off to their safe-rooms.
    Loar's personal F5 (#75315) received its Virzi as a retrofit, which is obvious from the narrower back binding telling me that the back was sawn off at some later point, as with so many other Virzi Loars except for the Fern Loars. So in this light, when Loar picked his personal F5, it may have been simply sitting on the shelf with no strings yet attached, as mandolins received their hard ware and strings no earlier than when they were shipped. On the other hand, Loar may have intercepted a mandolin shipment, when #75315 caught his ear as sounding exceptionally fine. Whatever the case, I doubt that Loar had an impact on the building of his personal F5, or he would have made sure that the Virzi was put in there during construction and before the back was glued on.

5. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Saw Thile perform last night with one of those Loars. The sound of instrument (and his ability to find all those luscious sonorities) was captivating. Mic'd so well that when he stepped away from the mic, the sound was unchanged. Unforgettable. His playing was nice too

Could you imagine having a "bumper sticker" on your Loar saying "my other mandolin is a Loar" or if while playing your "second" Loar, if someone said "hey cool, nice instrument, It's a Loar right? you could say... "Ya thanks man, i'ts my backup"

Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    Could you imagine having a "bumper sticker" on your Loar saying "my other mandolin is a Loar" or if while playing your "second" Loar, if someone said "hey cool, nice instrument, It's a Loar right? you could say... "Ya thanks man, i'ts my backup"
    Maybe Tom will chime in with his thoughts on the matter.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

All the talk of the Loars and they do sound great, but to my ears this mandolin suits his style more than any other.

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

“All the talk of the Loars and they do sound great, but to my ears this mandolin suits his style more than any other.” Thile of course sounds great on anything, but that Gilchrist (F5c I believe) stands out from nearly any other mandolin I’ve heard. Just an incredible instrument!

Mark/Richard,

I agree!

I actually recorded these videos years ago. I believe it was on Easter Sunday, if memory serves. Definitely wish we had the sound setup back then that Carter's has now! This Gil F5c and the other Gil F5 sounded particularly fantastic when Thile played them. The Gil F5 he plays actually belonged to me at the time, it was a special one. Unfortunately I had to let it go. I wish Carter's could pull off another 'tasting' with Thile sometime in the future!

13. The following members say thank you to josh a for this post:

Believe me, there are plenty of players out there with more than two Lloyd Loar F5s... plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by danW View Post
    Saw Thile perform last night with one of those Loars. The sound of instrument (and his ability to find all those luscious sonorities) was captivating. Mic'd so well that when he stepped away from the mic, the sound was unchanged. Unforgettable. His playing was nice too
    Out at UCSB? I was there, too. Amazing performance!

At first, I was a bit concerned that it was just him without a band, but he's not only an incredible player, but an incredible entertainer, as well. I was absolutely drawn in for the entire show, going back and forth between grinning at his stories and shaking my head at his virtuosity. Insane chops.

And yes, when he stepped out from behind the mic during "This is the Song (Good Luck)", wow, what a powerfully way to end the show. Especially considering all that's going on in the country, and the world, at the moment.

We're so fortunate to have the Arts and Lectures series out there. Saw Tommy Emmanuel there in December, and have tix to the Wood Brothers next month.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermike View Post
    Out at UCSB? I was there, too. Amazing performance!

At first, I was a bit concerned that it was just him without a band, but he's not only an incredible player, but an incredible entertainer, as well. I was absolutely drawn in for the entire show, going back and forth between grinning at his stories and shaking my head at his virtuosity. Insane chops.

And yes, when he stepped out from behind the mic during "This is the Song (Good Luck)", wow, what a powerfully way to end the show. Especially considering all that's going on in the country, and the world, at the moment.

We're so fortunate to have the Arts and Lectures series out there. Saw Tommy Emmanuel there in December, and have tix to the Wood Brothers next month.
    That's the one. Truly magical. I actually was able to get past the amazement at his virtuosity and focus on the incredible nuanced sound/musicality he was pulling from the instrument. Which is virtuosity++

Who thinks he's just a show off the way he just hits the strings and frets perfectly?

Obviously there was talent he was born with, but he just plays and plays and studies. I'm sure the only answer to why he practices so much would be the same as to why we breathe. To a certain extent, the instrument, the strings, and the pick are for him and the few dozen (tops) that would notice. I think part of what draws people to him is the utter joy he takes from playing for people. I'm sure when he's practicing a particular piece up to speed that smile becomes more of a man who's been challenged. We don't see when he goes over the same four bars of something by Bach for the 20th time. He obviously puts in his 'private' time, so he can sit at Carters or at some parking lot and bring it all together, and we get to see that smile. It's like a kid who roots for the underdog that wins the World Series, and he catches the game winning ball.
    That smile and enthusiasm is a pleasure to watch and (hopefully) infectious.

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

18. The following members say thank you to Tenzin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
    Who thinks he's just a show off the way he just hits the strings and frets perfectly?

Obviously there was talent he was born with, but he just plays and plays and studies. I'm sure the only answer to why he practices so much would be the same as to why we breathe. To a certain extent, the instrument, the strings, and the pick are for him and the few dozen (tops) that would notice. I think part of what draws people to him is the utter joy he takes from playing for people. I'm sure when he's practicing a particular piece up to speed that smile becomes more of a man who's been challenged. We don't see when he goes over the same four bars of something by Bach for the 20th time. He obviously puts in his 'private' time, so he can sit at Carters or at some parking lot and bring it all together, and we get to see that smile. It's like a kid who roots for the underdog that wins the World Series, and he catches the game winning ball.
    piling on a little here... and as good as he is, he consistently reaches beyond his abilities when performing - never do I get the sense that he's playing things safe. Which I love.

20. The following members say thank you to danW for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post

That's funny, because there were a few times during his show the other night where I was laughing to myself, thinking exactly that: "C'mon, man, now you're just showing off!" In the best possible way, of course!

The last time I saw Chris Thile, after he’d opened the show with several numbers requiring total mastery of the instrument, he referred to what he’d just finished as “shameless revelry”. Perfect summary.

More than one Loar? That's insane, but there are quite a few out there that are seriously inflicted with M.A.S. I suspected early on Thile has a mild case of M.A.S. The famous multi Loar owners that are famous, that most everyone on the planet who is into the Loar thing knows about it, would be Grisman (more than 2 plus a Fern or 2), Skaggs, (more than 2), Vince Gil (more than 2) and Herschel Sizemore (more than 2 and a Fern or 2). Even the great Bill Monroe owned 2 Loars. I can think of about a dozen collectors that have more than one Loar, whom I shall not name, but some of you know who they are. Some may even be cafe members.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

"....Out at UCSB? I was there, too. Amazing performance!....." Hey danW, hey fishermike - I was there too! We drove up from LA to see the show. 50 years ago, I attended lectures, inattentively, in that same hall; it was painted beige back then. I was paying better attention to Professor Thile last Tuesday night.
    Patrick Melly